Can't load movie info from IMDB (1 Viewer)

trojkolka

Portal Pro
December 24, 2004
The Netherlands
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Area: My Videos
MP Version: RC4 + Latest SVN
Skin: MCE
Windows Version: XP Pro + SP2 + all updates
CPU Type: Intel Pentium4 2.8GHz
Memory: 512mb
Video Card: Ati radeon 9200 SE
Video Card Driver: Latest
Video Card Resolution: 1024x768
Video Render Type: VMR9
TV Card: Hauppauge PVR MCE 150

Since some time i can't download movie information of any website (IMDB/OFDB etc..) in Mediaportal it just says it can't find the title. But that is very unlikely since it were famous movies.

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Something has changed lately in the IMDB part of MP. It's functionality is downgraded by 9 (out of 10). It's somehow not possible anymore to search IMDB from the contextmenu of the movie directory. The option IMDB is absent there. The only way to download the information is from the contextmenu if the movie file itself, but only when choosing "refresh" in the movie details window..... which is empty at that point (only a "0" is showing). 8 out of 10 times it automaticly downloads the wrong movie information. 1 out of 10 times it doesn't download anything at all. And the last 1 out of 10 times it downloads the correct information.
Before a optionlist of different movies, containing (parts) of the movietitle, showed and I could choose between them. Now the optionlist never shows. MP just starts downloading...the wrong information most of the time.
The downloading seems to go faster then before the changes to this part of MP, but this doesn't help a bit if the option becomes completely useless.

Sorry if I sound a bit frustrated.... I use(d) the IMDB option a lot.

I'm using the latest SVN right now. But I'm having this problem for about a week now. Don't know from which SVN exactly.

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I am also getting the same thing with 6/1/30. I think it has something to do with mosquiss changes right about that time.

On 30/05/2006 [19:33:33] mosquiss added the following change: Improvements in movie info internet searches

mosquiss

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 9, 2005
    Hi guys,

I am sorry your are having these problems. The issue about selected automatically the first movie from the list when more than a result is available is a configuration option. Probably you guys have that option on in the configuration program. By default the value is false but if in the configuration program you have selected it, then it will always select the first movie. If you think that this option should only be use in scan and not when searching a single file, I will remove that option for refreshing a single movie.
    Apart from that option, the code for searching is the same as before, so it should be getting the same results as before.
    As for the IMDB option in a folder, before it was searching for the first movie in the folder and showing the info of the fisrt movie. But normally you have many movies in a folder, so I don't see that that option is really interesting. But if you guys think differently, please let me know.

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    In my case every movie has it's own directory. Plus, if you search from within the directory the directory doesn't get the coverarct in iconview. So in my eye's it's not logical to remove the IMDB option from the directory contextmenu.

Getting the IMDB information is quite useless now because most of the time the wrong information is downloaded. It would be nice of the changes would be reversed yes.

Another thing.... When there is no information about a movie in the database yet the information screen is still displayed, but with no information in it. You have to select refresh to start searching IMDB for information.

The option was working almost perfect before. It only was a little slow, but that seems logical because for every moviedetail a new page must be opened (I'm guessing here).

mosquiss

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 9, 2005
    Bram said:
    In my case every movie has it's own directory. Plus, if you search from within the directory the directory doesn't get the coverarct in iconview. So in my eye's it's not logical to remove the IMDB option from the directory contextmenu.
    I understand your point but I think that your case is not what most people has (many movies in a single folder). I would love to include the search IMDB option in a folder if there is only one movie inside. But if there is more than one movie I dont see the reason to search for the first movie inside the folder. And with regard to not showing the covert art for the folder, what you were seeing was a side effect of a that feature. It was convenient for you but annoying for many people who had many movies in a folder and after clicking on that option, they see the covert art of the first movie in the folder.
    Bram said:
    Getting the IMDB information is quite useless now because most of the time the wrong information is downloaded. It would be nice of the changes would be reversed yes.
    As I said before, there is an option to specify how you want this feature to work. I have done a small change already to not use that info any more for a single movie search.
    Bram said:
    Another thing.... When there is no information about a movie in the database yet the information screen is still displayed, but with no information in it. You have to select refresh to start searching IMDB for information.
    Yes, you are right, It shouldn't be showing an empty screen but it was like this before, I haven't changed that behaviour. I think that it should inmediately start a search in this case and after that, show the result. If you think if should work like this, I will implement it on Monday.

Bram said:
    The option was working almost perfect before. It only was a little slow, but that seems logical because for every moviedetail a new page must be opened (I'm guessing here).
    Well, it was not working perfect for me and many others. For example, it was always looking movies in all languages when most people only want to look movies in a single language. Now you can select how many languages you like. Before when you were scanning a folder to get all movies info from IMDB, there were no way to cancel that search (and it took a very long time). Now you can cancel any search inmediatly if you want. Any way, as I starting to get really frustrated about this, and I have already shown to the test team this new way to handle IMDB searches and they have approved it, I will ask other members of the dev team and test team to jump in and bring their oppinions on this. If they want to reverse all the changes, I will do it. If they prefer that I will add the changes that I suggest to support your case, I will do it.
    So, please. I suggest everybody to check latest svn and give their oppinion on this as I only see people who thinks this is not working ok and they want it as it was before. I would also like to hear from people who thinks it is working well for them now. And as I said before, there is no problem for me to put everything as it was if that is what you want.

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    mosquiss said:
    Well, it was not working perfect for me and many others. For example, it was always looking movies in all languages when most people only want to look movies in a single language. Now you can select how many languages you like. Before when you were scanning a folder to get all movies info from IMDB, there were no way to cancel that search (and it took a very long time). Now you can cancel any search inmediatly if you want. Any way, as I starting to get really frustrated about this, and I have already shown to the test team this new way to handle IMDB searches and they have approved it, I will ask other members of the dev team and test team to jump in and bring their oppinions on this. If they want to reverse all the changes, I will do it. If they prefer that I will add the changes that I suggest to support your case, I will do it.
    So, please. I suggest everybody to check latest svn and give their oppinion on this as I only see people who thinks this is not working ok and they want it as it was before. I would also like to hear from people who thinks it is working well for them now. And as I said before, there is no problem for me to put everything as it was if that is what you want.

Mosquiss. We are currently in a code freeze and cannot be adding such new features at this moment in time. As they change the behaviour, introduce new bugs, etc. I know IMDB spanish search was not supported before, etc.

However, we all have new features we want to see in MP, but this is not the time to add them. If we cannot get this sorted out soon. I would like you to revert the code back.

Rather then make these changes now. I would rather that you worked on a new IMDB system using external config files like WebEPG. So that new sites can be added without changing the code. This can be done outside of the SVN and included after 0.2 is released.

/James

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I realy appriciate the effort you put in MP mosquiss, so don't get me wrong.

IMDB search from the contextmenu of a directory was optional. So if people who have all movies in one directory don't want the coverart of the first movie in the directory being shown, they just can choose niet to search from the directory. Now there are no choises anymore because there is only one way to choose.

In my opinion putting all movies in one directory is not the most logical way to go. But that's just the way I organise my files.
    Anyway....It shouldn't just work for one way of organising files.... So I don't realy get why you are removing options. It would be more logical to add options to meet the wishes of more users...wouldn't it?

For short..... I can't use the functionality anymore at this moment. I thought this was a very usefull part in MP. The only thing missing, for me, was that the download information is only saved in the database. I would like to see that the information is also added to the moviedirectory in a XML file i.a.. So when a new version of MP is released the movie information database can be updated by scanning the movies directory for coverart and movie information. Like ID3 tags for MP3, but then in a sepparate file. This would be a lot faster then manualy having to download the movie information again thrue the MP interface.

Jetboy

Portal Pro
    April 15, 2005
    Stockholm
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    mosquiss said:
    Bram said:
    I understand your point but I think that your case is not what most people has (many movies in a single folder). I would love to include the search IMDB option in a folder if there is only one movie inside. But if there is more than one movie I dont see the reason to search for the first movie inside the folder.

I'm with Bram here, I keep my movies in individual folders. The main reason for this is that a lot of movies are split into two or three files. As this is the case, I'd prefer it if I could do an IMDB lookup on an entire folder, even if it contains more than one movie file. I would like the folder to show the thumbnail for the movie, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom