Can't make zsnes full screen? (1 Viewer)

Crackofdawn

Portal Pro
September 21, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Anyone else have this issue? I seem to have no problem connected to a monitor, but when I'm connected to my HDTV, if I try to make zsnes full screen I get a directx error. This breaks myEmulators as even if I set zsnes to be permanently on top, it still doesn't take focus over mediaportal when it's not in full screen mode, so any commands I send go to mediaportal instead of zsnes. Anyone else have this problem and/or have a solution for it?

buddman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2008
    TX
    Home Country
    I've never encountered this and am running ZSNES on my TV @ 1280x720. Are you using a WIP patch on ZSNES? Are you sure your resolution settings are set correctly for your TV? Does this happen only within MyEmulators, or does it happen if you manually open ZSNES as well?

Crackofdawn

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2009
    Home Country
    It happens any time I use znesw on my TV, it will not work full screen, ever. My HDTV resolution is set to 1920x1080i30 (ATI Catalyst software) as my TV's native resolution is 1080i. I have not tried using 1280x720p (which my TV can also do natively) because it makes the screen look a bit weird and everything looks too big, although I'm not sure how MP would look as I never even tried to run it at 720p.

Atreides

Portal Pro
    June 28, 2008
    Home Country
    I have a HD tv with ZSNES going full screen with resolution 1920x1080, and I never had a problem with it. Maybe you should try and re download it or update your direct x. I do not think it is anything with your TV, as I have never had a problem with it. Sorry to hear that it doesn't work ZSNES is a good emulator. You should also have "keep mediaportal on top" unchecked in the general config section so your emulators can open up on top on MP.

Crackofdawn

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Unfortunately if I uncheck keep mediaportal on top it causes problems with other applications on my system. I have DirectX 11 (came with Windows 7) so I don't think I can update it. Wondering if the problem is because of my 30hz refresh (1920x1080i30 instead of 1920x1080p60), not sure. Maybe I'll try setting my resolution to 1280x720p60 and see what happens. I'm also using a custom resolution within a resolution from ATI to reduce overscan on my TV since it's a rear projection LCD.

Crackofdawn

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2009
    Home Country
    I tested this after setting my TV resolution to 1280x720p60 and it works.... so does anyone know if there is a way to get full screen to work with 1920x1080i30? :(

DiePlage

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello everyone,

I can confirm that I have never been able to set up ZSNES to be fullscreen on any display with 16:9 aspect. There is always a black bar on top and bottom.
    There are black bars left and right as well but that is because I don't want ZSNES to change the original aspect ratio.

There was a thread about it somewhere at the author's forum but it didn't provide a solution either.

Cheers,

DiePlage

Atreides

Portal Pro
    June 28, 2008
    Home Country
    DiePlage
    I am sorry you are having problems with zsnes. I believe it is the best emulator for snes with the only quirk being the Esc button going to menu instead of exiting the emulator. You should supply some more info about your setting in zsnes. I have mine to fullscreen with a 16:9 aspect, and I also have it stretch to fit because I don't want any black bars showing. I have never had a problem with black bars on the top and bottom though. What resolution do you have the emu set at? Also, notice that there is another tab on the settings display GUI and more options within there. I had to go to the second tab to uncheck keep 4:3 aspect ratio so I would not get bars on the sides of the screen. I hope this help, and I may be able to help more with your problem if you supply more info.

DiePlage

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Atreides,

I really like ZSNES and I don't care much about the bars.

My settings are: Custom resolution 1920x1080 (native resolution of my TV), stretch disabled (keep aspect-ratio), Filters enabled (Super eagle)
    Still, there is a bar of about 50px on top and bottom. This happens with or without MP.
    I have a notebook running a native resolution of 1440x900 with the same symptoms, ZSNES settings are: Custom resolution 1440x900 (native resolution), stretch disabled (keep aspect-ratio), Filters enabled (Super eagle).

My HTPC has a ATI HD3200 IGP, the Notebook uses a HD3470.

I've set up ZSNESW 1.51 a a couple of other systems with these symptoms as well.

I *THINK* the cause of this is that the internal aspect ratio of the SNES is 8:7 which was stretched by your TV to the TV's physical aspect ration of 4:3. In other words, the SNES does not use square pixels.
    Iirc, there's a function somewhere in ATI's catalyst drivers to compensate for different pixelformats. MAYBE this is causing the black bars.

Another possible cause could be the filter algorithm in use. Maybe I will try ZSNES without filters later this evening.

However, this is highly speculative and while I really would like to know a fix for this I can very well live with the black bars :)

I just came across this link ZSNES board :: View topic - 16:10 fullscreen at the official zsnes board but they didn't find a real solution either.

Cheers, DiePlage

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom