Can't play AVCHD .iso (e.g. PS3-ready BR rip)? (1 Viewer)

Karyudo

Portal Member
January 26, 2008
Home Country
Canada Canada
I've downloaded and installed Daemon Tools Lite v4.3.0.1, turned off secure mode, and checked what drive letter is assigned.

In MP, I've turned on Expert Mode in Configuration, and configured Daemon Tools to automount to the correct drive letter.

I'm able to play DVD .iso files in MP, no problem. I'm also able to play .mkv HD content (x264, mostly?) with no problems.

What I can't seem to do is to play AVCHD content that's in an .iso file. The two .iso files I've tried are 1080p, one sourced from TV and one sourced from BR, but both re-encoded to fit a DVD-9 size for use in a Playstation 3 (PS3).

I've searched several threads here (that's how I got DVD .isos to work), but I don't see a definitive strategy for playing AVCHD content.

Any ideas??

TV-Server Version: none
MediaPortal Version: 1.0 RC3
MediaPortal Skin: Titanium
Windows Version: XP SP3
CPU Type: Intel C2D
HDD: Seagate, 500 GB
Memory: 2 GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS4
Video Card: Nvidia 8500GT
Video Card Driver: Nvidia
Sound Card: onboard
Sound Card AC3: onboard
Sound Card Driver: onboard
1. TV Card: none
1. TV Card Type: none
1. TV Card Driver: none
MPEG2 Video Codec: default
MPEG2 Audio Codec: default
h.264 Video Codec: CoreAVC
Satelite/CableTV Provider: none
HTPC Case: nMediaPC
Cooling: stock
Power Supply: stock
Remote: Windows MCE
TV: Samsung 52" LCD, 1080p
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI-to-HDMI @1080p

Karyudo

Portal Member
January 26, 2008
Home Country
Canada Canada
Oh. Really?! MP does such a good job of playing everything else I throw at it that I'm a bit shocked by that, actually!

I hope you mean, "Unfortunately Mediaportal doesn't have support for AVCHD / HD DVD / Bluray -- YET."

Are there third-party codecs I could install to have MP handle AVCHD? I find it a bit surprising that CoreAVC isn't able to handle something labeled AVC-something-something. Is that because of the container format / file structure of AVCHD disc images?

Somewhat-related question that might tide me over: Is there a way to demux AVCHD stuff and remux to .mkv, say?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Its not the codecs, but the fact that Blu-ray...

1) is really closed format (no documents available)
    2) reguires keys for decryption (which arent available for open source software)
    3) has pretty complex navigation scheme

So most likely MP wont even have native Blyray / HD DVD support. There are already multiple topics on that issue on the forum, search will provide more information:

Karyudo

Portal Member
    January 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Huh. It doesn't matter that these are fan-encoded video and audio streams, so for sure no AACS? I could totally understand if MP couldn't handle AACS, but again it's surprising that even some fan-created disc images aren't handled.

I guess I'll have to head back to the intarwebs, and get me a different version -- like a nice, well-documented, open MKV, which I know MP plays without hassles!

Thanks for the quick replies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom