[no Bug] Cant Play DVD (1 Viewer)

Atreides

Portal Pro
June 28, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I got a bug I think. I have Play DVD enabled in the mp config but when I have a dvd in the drive and I hit play dvd it goes black then back to the home screen.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Please use debug option to gather logs so all logs are collected. Can you update post with full logs.

Thanks

STuNZ

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    May sound strange but, make sure you have the Video plugin enabled.
    RC1 or 2 can't remember which, had the issue that, for some people, without the Video plugin enabled, "Play DVD" did not work.

kiwi1342

Portal Member
    May 27, 2010
    I noticed the same problem but it displays a popup asking me to select the dvd bay from where I want to start the movie. The problem in my opinion is that the system switches to the Default channel (TV Series in my case).

I think that if I press Play DVD it shouldn't switch to another menu section.

ps

sorry for my english :p

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    May sound strange but, make sure you have the Video plugin enabled.
    RC1 or 2 can't remember which, had the issue that, for some people, without the Video plugin enabled, "Play DVD" did not work.
    I confirm that this is the case. Trying to establish with team if this is by design or is a bug.
    Can both of you enable Video plugin and then confirm whether DVD playback via Play Disc plugin is working?

Atreides

Portal Pro
    June 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Sorry it took me so long to get back. Yes I can confirm this. I did not have video enabled and the DVD did not work. I then enabled Video in the plugins section and now it works. Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
    November 16, 2006
    Home Country
    I have this same issue using RC6. Is this by design, or is this a bug??? to me it is a bug. I should not have to ahv the video plugin enabled to play a physical disc. And I use Moving Pictures for my stored movies. I do not need the Video plugin to be seen, or to use it. But I have to have it enabled to be able to play discs and images.

Same thing with music. the Music plugin has to be enabled to play music (which is ok, there is no other music plugin...). I think that is the case with music. I have not tried it since upgrading to rc6...

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I have this same issue using RC6. Is this by design, or is this a bug??? to me it is a bug. I should not have to ahv the video plugin enabled to play a physical disc. And I use Moving Pictures for my stored movies. I do not need the Video plugin to be seen, or to use it. But I have to have it enabled to be able to play discs and images.

Same thing with music. the Music plugin has to be enabled to play music (which is ok, there is no other music plugin...). I think that is the case with music. I have not tried it since upgrading to rc6...

Hi,
    Dunno why you repeat in this thread, didn't you get an answer yesterday?
    Anyway here it is & is by design & not sure it will change in MP 1's history:

afaik from memory DVD is a part of Videos & the Play Disc was to be able to just start from home instead of going into My Videos etc, so the bug here would be that Play Disc button should be disabled when My Videos is disabled & if you use Moving Picture instead that one should add a similar play button to MP Home instead

Regards
    Roy

mlburgoon

Portal Pro
    November 16, 2006
    Home Country
    Yes, I got an answer from you yesterday, which I responded to, and has not received another reply. Also, the response given was not very satifactory to me. It didn't sound very official and sounded kind of like "well, I think this may be the answer.."

I know in the past that this behavior was not the way it worked. I have run the same configuration for quite some time now through several versions of MP. I was happy to see I was not crazy and someone else was seeing the same thing, so I posted here as well. The issue is that I have to enable plugins I don't want to use to play a movie. If all I wanted to do was play physical discs not store them, I would have to enable both the music and video plugins just to play a disc. That is not my configuration, but that is the issue.

If it has to be enabled, then I should be able to hide the item in the menu. One of the goals I think I remember was to make MP easier to use. along those lines if I enable play disc, it should play the disc. Having a cluttered menu with items people don't want\need in it does not provide a professional feel to MP. It should be fixed.

Another reason for posting in this thread is becasue the MP final is coming, and I feel that this issue needs to be corrected before the final is released.

Sorry if it caused any issues.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    As has been said in so many other threads, we will not make any changes before 1.1.0 that could cause problems.

It would be nice if disabling My Videos also disabled the Play Disc menu item, but I don't know if there is anything in the code for plugins to have dependencies. If not, this would be a big change which is not really worth the effort.

As a workaround, why not move My Videos to plugins rather than home?

Anyway, this is not a bug but works this way by design.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread