Cant use DXVA on MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC1 + MPCVideoDec.ax (1 Viewer)

Felipe_Zanon

Portal Member
December 23, 2009
Hello guys,

I decided to upgrade from my old Mediaportal version to the new 1.1.0 RC1. So, i made a fresh install of Windows 7 and MP 1.1.0 RC1.

After installing all software, i downloaded the MPC-HC standalone video codec (MPCVideoDec.ax) and registered it as usual. I was using this codec on previous version and DXVA was working perfect. Hovever, now (after all fresh install) the DXVA was not working. CPU usage was too high. I started investigating the problem and i discovered the cause:

MediaPortal was only enabling DXVA when the MPCVideoDec was configured as a Win7 "prefered filter". I used Win7DSFilterTweaker_3.0 for setting this.

This behaviour is expected and/or previously reported here?

Regards,

Felipe.

MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 RC1
MediaPortal Skin: Bluewide
Windows Version: Windows 7 RTM
CPU Type: Core2Duo 1.8GHz
HDD: 1Tb
Memory: 2Gb
Motherboard:XFX9300
Video Card: GF9300
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    MediaPortal was only enabling DXVA when the MPCVideoDec was configured as a Win7 "prefered filter". I used Win7DSFilterTweaker_3.0 for setting this.

It is codec's responsibility to enable the DXVA, not player application's. About the issue, sounds like MPC-HC decoder wasn't used at all in the first place. Could you confirm that by using GraphEdit?

Felipe_Zanon

Portal Member
    December 23, 2009
    Hmm, i never tought on this possibility because i belive that when you select de decoder on mediaportal configuration, the program will just use the selected coded, whatever is the codec merit, etc...

I already used GraphStudio (a better version, i think) to check the prefered codecs, because when you open a media file inside graphstudio it use the system prefered codecs.

On this case, i would need to make GraphStudio to "monitor" or to "watch" which codecs MediaPortal is using at that moment. Unfortunately, i dont know how to make this. I think that maybe it is something related to the "remote graph"... Can you give me a tip on how to make this?

Regards,

Felipe.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    On this case, i would need to make GraphStudio to "monitor" or to "watch" which codecs MediaPortal is using at that moment. Unfortunately, i dont know how to make this. I think that maybe it is something related to the "remote graph"... Can you give me a tip on how to make this?

1) open mediaportal and start to play a file
    2) connect to remote graph in GraphStudio / GraphEdit

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,

Sometimes you need to register proppage.dll if you want to connect Graph :)
    Cheers,
    Seb

Felipe_Zanon

Portal Member
    December 23, 2009
    Ok, it seems to be very easy.

However, in the past i tried to use the remote graph with other players (KMPlayer) while playing a video file and i did not see any remote graph available on graphedit screen.

Does MediaPortal makes something special (like "providing the remote graph")? Can i use this resource with other players?

I will try this with MediaPortal this evening.

Best regards,

Felipe.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi, i can say for me, i must register the DLL without her no graph is appear and it's the same for MPC-HC player.
    With MP you can see the graph and what codec is used, it's more easy that decode log file lol :)
    Cheers,
    Seb.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Ok, it seems to be very easy.

However, in the past i tried to use the remote graph with other players (KMPlayer) while playing a video file and i did not see any remote graph available on graphedit screen.

Does MediaPortal makes something special (like "providing the remote graph")? Can i use this resource with other players?

Not all players want to provide the graph for 3rd party applications (althou there are some COM+ hacking that allows those to be exposed as well :)). WMP for example doesnt expose the graph.

Felipe_Zanon

Portal Member
    December 23, 2009
    Ok guys, after registering the DLL i was able to watch MP graph.

However, this time i could not reproduce the issue again! :confused: I used the DS Filter manager to go back to the default settings (microsoft decoders), and now the CPU usage is low when playing the video. I changed the h264 codec on MP configuration between MPC, Microsoft and Arcsoft and graphedit was showing that the active codec was the one that was selected on the MP configuration, so everything is correct.

I dont know what happened, but im 100% sure that the MPC video codec was selected on MP configuration for decoding h264 and the video playback was resulting on a high CPU usage.

Im trying to figure out what was changed since that moment...

Anyway, than you guys for the support. :D

Dr Tone

Portal Pro
    October 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    What I've found is setting MPCVideoDec in media portal does nothing. It software decodes either via mpcvideodec or windows dmo. Didn't research it further.

Solution:

I used Win7DSFilterTweaker_3.0 and forced MPCVideoDec as the default ds filter for H.264 and then DXVA will work in MP. I've seen this on 3 machines now, all running 1.1

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom