cant watch video on clean install of mp (1 Viewer)

rmills

August 7, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
TV-Server Version: RC2
MediaPortal Version: RC2
MediaPortal Skin: default
Windows Version: vista x64 ultiment sp1
CPU Type: E6850
HDD: Raptor 74gig (os) WD RE2 250 gig (tv storage x2)
Memory: mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1000
Motherboard: ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38
Video Card: HIS 3870x2
Video Card Driver: latest stable
Sound Card: SB X-fi gamer
Sound Card AC3: ?unknown
Sound Card Driver: latest stable
1. TV Card: Happ 1800
1. TV Card Type: ATSC/NTSC/FM
1. TV Card Driver: lastest x64 stable
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: microsoft mpeg2
MPEG2 Audio Codec: ffdshow
h.264 Video Codec: core avc
Satelite/CableTV Provider: n/a
HTPC Case: n/a
Cooling: Scythe SCINF-1000 120mm CPU Cooler (plus 5 case fans)
Power Supply: XIGMATEK MC NRP-MC851 850W
Remote: Happ
TV: ASUS MK241H Black 24" 2ms
TV - HTPC Connection: n/a

I have hit the end of my rope with media portal and hope someone has a chance to look over my logs before i give up. Issue is simple I cant view video in MP, I can however record fine, inside the TV I can preview fine. But I cant watch TV (only tried HD ch so far) (*note* I can watch TV fine in Vista's MC). I also cant watch ripped video like movies encoded in 264 inside mkv's. My first thought was a codec issue. I tried a number of codecs and pack then removed all codecs got pissed and did a complete clean install of vista with sp1 and all fixes. installed only core avc and ffdshow, tried again... same issue. When I go to "My TV" and turn it on the screen flickers off then on, locks for a few seconds then either the tv shuts off or just stays black. If I go into my lib of videos and try to open say a hd rip inside a mkv the screen flickers on then off then freezes or crashes. HELP!!! I dont want to have to install ubuntu just to I can use myth tv to cap the olympics :(

Attached are the logs done from the debugger (one for watching tv, one from watching a reg video clip. If you need anything else let me know.

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,
    First off I'm no expert on this but a few comments until a someone that knows what they are doing comes along....
    1. Your TsReader log is showing loads of discontinuity errors. I don't think this is a good thing! I seem to remember seeing in another thread that MP will skip data when it gets an error. Also this error is normally caused by a poor TV signal. I think that there may be an older TSReader.ax that is more forgiving of errors, you may want to search for threads that give the details.
    2. No idea why you can't play the mkv file. Can you play it with any other player on your system? I find that the cccp codec pack (with default settings), seems to let me play just about anything. Yoy may want to try making ffdshow your HD codec for video playback (not sure if core avc can handle potentially no standard h264 formats).
    3. I've found that the PDVD8 codecs work really well with the ATI cards allowing full hardware decoding of many formats.
    4. I notice you are using VMR9 as your video renderer most people use EVR on Vista. You may also want to try having Vista Aero enabled as this seems to make hardware decode use much lower cpu.
    5. Your system is not that unlike many on here that seems to work fine. The only odd thing is that you have two graphics cards. Perhaps you could try temporarily removing one?

Good luck

Andy

rmills

August 7, 2008
    Home Country
    I tried a number of different codec's thinking one just was not playing nicly with MP, ironically CCCP was the first I tried, then GK then installed only single codecs I needed for each. The above specs were the ones I used for the log files.

As far as signal, when I test I am at 80%+ for quality and its locking. I can also preview in the TV Server fine. It's just when I tried to watch anything in media portal its self.

Thanks for the tips on the other codecs I will give them a try. Might get lucky. Thou I am starting to lean towards a driver/hardware issue. Also as before recording works fine. I just cant see the picture unless I open the raw transport stream. But I just don't have enough experience to say for sure. Hopefully someone can spot the error in the logs.

And yes reg mkv videos are opening fine in MPC & Zoom. Did not do a lot of testing on other players.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    rmills

May well be the 2 graphics cards, seen reports of people having issues with video because of this type of setup, never seen a answer, besides disabling one of them.

rmills

August 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Well the 3870X2 is a single card and Crossfire can not be disabled on it. Further more depending on the type of video hook it should be transpart to MP.

Is there really no error information in my logs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom