CECRemote [0.9.7] (6 Viewers)

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Well that doesn't sound promising since the first post said that hardware is required, and I view UHD content.
    Is there any other hardware that works?
    I don't know if it's possible to send commands to lg tvs by network, i needed to control my avr and wrote this plugin to send telnet commands to it. [Plugin]Marantz Control Plugin 0.0.0.2 it's not hdmi- cec, but at that time fixed my problem and still working.

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I don't know if it's possible to send commands to lg tvs by network, i needed to control my avr and wrote this plugin to send telnet commands to it. [Plugin]Marantz Control Plugin 0.0.0.2 it's not hdmi- cec, but at that time fixed my problem and still working.
    I want to control MediaPortal with the TV remote not control the TV with another device.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I want to control MediaPortal with the TV remote not control the TV with another device.
    Wouldn't a universal programmable remote control do what you want?

I have a Logitech Harmony 650 (sadly no longer available) which I have programmed to switch on and off relevant devices and set the inputs as required. For example, my "Watch HTPC" activity does this:
    • Powers up the HTPC.
    • Powers up my Sony TV.
    • Powers up my Cambridge DAC.
    • Powers up my Teac analogue amplifier.
    • Sets the active inputs on the DAC, TV, and amplifier as required for this activity.
    Most of the buttons control MP, but the volume and mute buttons can be set to control any of the other devices (such as the TV, if that is what you want). :)

The sad part of this is the discontinuation of the Harmony range of remotes, which was the only reasonably-priced remotes that offered true power-state tracking for each device (meaning that activities would work even with devices that supported only a power-toggle command).

One-for-All remotes are programmable using the RMIR open-source software, but One-for-All remotes do not support power-state tracking, so they can be used for activities only if all of your devices have separate power-on and power-off commands. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    Wouldn't a universal programmable remote control do what you want?

I have a Logitech Harmony 650 (sadly no longer available) which I have programmed to switch on and off relevant devices and set the inputs as required. For example, my "Watch HTPC" activity does this:
    • Powers up the HTPC.
    • Powers up my Sony TV.
    • Powers up my Cambridge DAC.
    • Powers up my Teac analogue amplifier.
    • Sets the active inputs on the DAC, TV, and amplifier as required for this activity.
    Most of the buttons control MP, but the volume and mute buttons can be set to control any of the other devices (such as the TV, if that is what you want). :)

The sad part of this is the discontinuation of the Harmony range of remotes, which was the only reasonably-priced remotes that offered true power-state tracking for each device (meaning that activities would work even with devices that supported only a power-toggle command).

One-for-All remotes are programmable using the RMIR open-source software, but One-for-All remotes do not support power-state tracking, so they can be used for activities only if all of your devices have separate power-on and power-off commands. :(

Yes I also have the Harmony 650 and it works great with my TV but I am using a flirc IR receiver to control MP and if I am sitting at a angle to the flirc IR receiver it doesn't receive the signal so I need to move more directly in front of the receiver to get it to receive the signal.
    However when sitting at the same locations the Harmony 650 controls the TV just fine.
    It seems the flirc IR receiver has a very limited range of sight as the angle is not very acute and no matter how I adjust the position of the flric I cannot get coverage to all sitting locations in the living room.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have the PulseEight CEC adaptor connected to my HDMI in conjuction with the CEC Remote plugin, it works on my old TV (1920 x1080 and frame packed 3D) but basically I only use it to control the sound and standby on the AVR and TV from my MP remote. I have tried using the TV remote to control MP, it seems to work but is very laggy and nothing like the kind of response I get with a directly connected remote. As such I do not regard it as a viable solution for controlling MP.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I also have the Harmony 650 and it works great with my TV but I am using a flirc IR receiver to control MP and if I am sitting at a angle to the flirc IR receiver it doesn't receive the signal
    I have no experience of the Flirc IR receiver, so perhaps you are using it to control other devices in addition to the HTPC, but the simplest solution would be to purchase an IR receiver that uses the MCE RC6 signalling protocol. This is simply the standard Microsoft IR receiver.

Remote controls have a limited lifetime and eventually wear out, so I would never buy a pre-used remote control from Ebay, but IR receivers virtually never wear out, so for me Ebay would be a candidate source for an MCE IR receiver. If you prefer new, Inteset still sell one, available here.

I have the remote and IR receiver shown on this Ebay page. The seller (in China!) claims that they are new (believe that as you see fit), but the IR receiver is so sensitive that I can point the remote control anywhere in the room and MP still responds to the button presses. :eek:

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    I have no experience of the Flirc IR receiver, so perhaps you are using it to control other devices in addition to the HTPC, but the simplest solution would be to purchase an IR receiver that uses the MCE RC6 signalling protocol. This is simply the standard Microsoft IR receiver.

Remote controls have a limited lifetime and eventually wear out, so I would never buy a pre-used remote control from Ebay, but IR receivers virtually never wear out, so for me Ebay would be a candidate source for an MCE IR receiver. If you prefer new, Inteset still sell one, available here.

I have the remote and IR receiver shown on this Ebay page. The seller (in China!) claims that they are new (believe that as you see fit), but the IR receiver is so sensitive that I can point the remote control anywhere in the room and MP still responds to the button presses. :eek:

I bought it, hopefully it works and maybe I can program the Harmony to work with that IR receiver.
    Thanks for the help.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    hopefully it works and maybe I can program the Harmony to work with that IR receiver.
    If it is the Inteset that you purchased, the description specifically states that the receiver works with "Media Center and MCE related apps". So in the Harmony Setup tool, you simply select "Microsoft MCE Media Center" (or similar). Note: there may be more than one command set listed for Microsoft MCE; if so, try them all until you find one that works.

If you purchased the Dell remote/receiver combination, you proceed the same as above, and select "Microsoft MCE Media Center" in the Harmony Setup tool.

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    If it is the Inteset that you purchased, the description specifically states that the receiver works with "Media Center and MCE related apps". So in the Harmony Setup tool, you simply select "Microsoft MCE Media Center" (or similar). Note: there may be more than one command set listed for Microsoft MCE; if so, try them all until you find one that works.

If you purchased the Dell remote/receiver combination, you proceed the same as above, and select "Microsoft MCE Media Center" in the Harmony Setup tool.

I bought the the Dell remote/receiver combination. Thanks for the help.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    I have the PulseEight CEC adaptor connected to my HDMI in conjuction with the CEC Remote plugin, it works on my old TV (1920 x1080 and frame packed 3D) but basically I only use it to control the sound and standby on the AVR and TV from my MP remote. I have tried using the TV remote to control MP, it seems to work but is very laggy and nothing like the kind of response I get with a directly connected remote. As such I do not regard it as a viable solution for controlling MP.
    The same thing, but I use the TV remote control all the time, it’s no worse than a regular HID IR remote control or keyboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom