[other] - Centralized SQL Database for Videos/Music/Series/Pictures

Discussion in 'Improvement Suggestions' started by office@axs.at, October 5, 2010.

1. office@axs.at

office@axs.at New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Current SQLlite engine does not support sharing, so its not possible to access the db from more than 1 client at the same time.

my request:

ability to use some other sql engine (mySQL or MSSQL) on a central Server, to store any information (including file-location) of music, videos, pics etc.

just like the sqllite db does it - but centralized for multi-user enviroments

:D

mike

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. orencha

orencha Portal Pro

Software Developer & IT Expert
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Home Country:
    Israel Israel
    I think it's a good idea. As home NAS devices and home-server-based-storage are becoming more popular, it makes sense to keep the databases in a central location. Very useful for multi-seat configuration with 3 or more clients.

Additionally, since a SQL server (MS-SQL/MySQL) is a pre-requisite for installing MediaPortal anyway, I think can reduce some overhead caused by multiple DB systems.

However, in some cases users may prefer to have "local" DBs for a specific client (such as in the children's TV), so the best option might be letting the user choose a DB type & location from the MediaPortal configuration. In this case, the default configuration should be the "local" SQLite DB, to make upgrading easier.

4. thesystemera

thesystemera Portal Pro

Audio Engineer, Media Guru
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I would say definitely go for the MySQL option, permissions can always be set on local clients to filter out certain content...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!