Ceton InfiniTV Eth first time install on Win 8 Pro (1 Viewer)

Charles F

June 24, 2018
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Cybersimian and Joecrow, I appreciate the feedback, but I have different reasons for moving forward to Windows 8:

1) Win 7 will no longer be supported in 2020, which means no more program updates or security updates. Any software
purchased from other vendors on Win 7 platform will no longer be supported as well. Microsoft is basically forcing Win 7 users
to migrate to Win 8 and Win 10, so after 2020 we really will have no choice. I am new to the HTPC realm, as there is a lot to learn,
and it would behoove me to go in that direction as it appears HTPC is the present and future.

2) Regarding Premium channels, I don't have any, I just record movies and TV shows on the basic cable channels. If I ever
reconsider ordering premium channels, knowing I cannot record movies is something I can probably live with.

3) I also use Kodi and I watch movies there, basically like watching movies on demand, no really any need to record.
I understand there is a Kodi plugin that can be installed on MP which I am very much interested.

So now that you have my reasons, I really need help in getting MP to work in my Win 8 system

Q1) At this point, am I better off installing MP2 vs MP1? Not really sure what the difference is, but I will go along with
whatever you recommend

Q2) Regarding my equipment, I have a Ceton InfinTV Ethernet box with cable card on Verizon FIOS provider.
I also have 2 Ceton Echo extenders which are basically ethernet appliances that serve as clients, these are not PC's.
To that point, do I need to install client/server configuration or standalone PC config? If client/server is required, how do I
go about doing that?

Q3) I need in the worst way to be able to get past this issue of my MP TV server configuration data not being saved.
As previously stated, after spending the day on making config changes, when I reboot, all config data is wiped out.
How do I get past this issue? It appears DB configuration data is not getting saved.

Anything you can do to assist would be greatly appreciated, thank you

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    1) Win 7 will no longer be supported in 2020, which means no more program updates or security updates.
    I suppose people have different requirements.

I am posting this from a 14-year old Sony laptop that is still running Windows XP. It is fine for web browsing, email, and my own programming projects, but too slow these days for youtube videos (CPU goes to 100% and the video is jerky). There have been no OS updates for years, and no MS security updates either, but I don't visit "those" sort of web sites where I am likely to become infected with malware, and I don't click on random links in spam email (I receive email as plain ASCII text, not as HTML).

My HTPC runs MP on Windows Vista (I am one of the very few MP users still running such an old setup). I don't see a problem with Windows 7 reaching end of support in 2020, and will be using Windows 7 on the new HTPC that I am planning to build later this year.

2) Regarding Premium channels, I don't have any
    Then MP should be able to allow you to watch and record TV. (y)

I understand there is a Kodi plugin that can be installed on MP
    That is another set of headaches. There are people who use Kodi with MP, but I am not one of them, so cannot advise.

Q1) At this point, am I better off installing MP2 vs MP1?
    MP2 uses essentially the same TV Server as MP1. I think that the internal interface is slightly different, but the core code is the same, and the setup ("TV Server Config") is the same. But MP2 does not have a TV expert to help with setup problems.

do I need to install client/server configuration or standalone PC config?
    I have never used separate client and server setups, so cannot advise on how to set them up. Also, I am not 100% convinced that you can stream from an MP server to a Ceton Echo; others may know.

after spending the day on making config changes, when I reboot, all config data is wiped out.
    I have never encountered that problem myself, and cannot suggest what is going wrong with your setup.

As you can see from the above, my area of experience and knowledge is almost completely disjoint with your problems. You really need an MP user who resides in the USA, who has a setup similar to yours which is working correctly, who reads the threads on this forum, and who is prepared to speak up and offer you help. If there is no one, then I think that you are on your own. I am sorry that this sounds so negative. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I I certainly agree with Cybersimians comments and can also confirm I have never encountered the problem of the config data being wiped.
    With respect to the OS, if you do decide to go the MP no DRM route then forget about 8.1 and go straight to Win 10, (I believe a free upgrade is still possible), even though MS is still supporting 8.1 others have or will be dropping it, e.g. AMD no longer offer drivers for Win 8x on any of their new graphics hardware, just Win 7 and 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom