[Usability] - Chaching

Discussion in 'Improvement Suggestions' started by psycob, March 25, 2010.

1. psycob

psycob Portal Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Started on: 2010-03-25

Summary:
    An implementation of a chaching algorithm.

Area:
    MyTV, Skin, MyVideos, MyPictures and MyMusic.

Description:
    If you scroll through big databases for exapmle MyMusic you always get a little slowdown. I think the reason is, that the initialization of the Cover and the Fanart takes to long... So maybe its a good idea to implement some background worker thread to cache all Database objects in some kind of database-cloud. Of course the maximum size of this cloud should be parameterizable. Today my MediaPortal installation needs about 100 MB RAM but i have 8 GB RAM. So why don't use them? ;)

By the way i'm really intrested in getting involved to this great project. I'm really familiar with .NET and C# and at the moment i'm writting my bachelor these in Computer Science. I'm allready had a look at the Sourcecode of MediaPortal but i didn't found some architectur guide.

At least sorry for my bad english but i'm better at formal languages ;).

Sincere regards PsycoB

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. chemelli
    • Premium Supporter

chemelli Retired Team Member

Activation Manager - Cloud Services
    Ratings:
    +1,127 / 0
    Home Country:
    Italy Italy
    Hi psicob,

:D for sharing your ideas!

As you may know we don't plan to make huge changes to MP1 anymore: we would like to have a very stable 1.1.0 release.
    All those goodies are for MP2.

But if you feel confortable with creating a patch we may review it and judge the risks.

Simone

4. psycob

psycob Portal Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Maybe its a good idea to have a look at the mediaportal 2 sources.
    In addition to that i will have a second look at the sources of mediaportal 1 and estimate the time for writing a patch.

THX for the information.

Sincere regards PsycoB

• Like Like x 1
  5. psycob

psycob Portal Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    So i had a look at the sources aggain. The main problem is, that every gui control must be changed.
    Maybe its a better idea to implement for the upcoming version 2.0. Is there any change to get involved as a developer?

Regards PsycoB

6. tourettes
    • Premium Supporter

tourettes Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +4,810 / 3
    Sure. Contact Albert (MP2 lead developer) either directly or publicly in this thread and discuss with him what requirements we have for MP2 developers. Mainly programming & team working skills and the interest in working with MP2 / open source are the key factors. You could also start digging into the MP2 source code and provide a patch that shows your skills.

7. psycob

psycob Portal Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I already had a look at the source code of mediaportal 1 and 2. At the roadmap of mediaportal 2 all items already have assigned to a developer. If there any smaller change request for mediaportal 2 i would be pleasent if this would be assigned to me.

Thank you PsycoB

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!