[Usability] Chaching (1 Viewer)

psycob

Portal Member
March 22, 2009
Started on: 2010-03-25

Summary:
An implementation of a chaching algorithm.

Area:
MyTV, Skin, MyVideos, MyPictures and MyMusic.

Description:
If you scroll through big databases for exapmle MyMusic you always get a little slowdown. I think the reason is, that the initialization of the Cover and the Fanart takes to long... So maybe its a good idea to implement some background worker thread to cache all Database objects in some kind of database-cloud. Of course the maximum size of this cloud should be parameterizable. Today my MediaPortal installation needs about 100 MB RAM but i have 8 GB RAM. So why don't use them? ;)

By the way i'm really intrested in getting involved to this great project. I'm really familiar with .NET and C# and at the moment i'm writting my bachelor these in Computer Science. I'm allready had a look at the Sourcecode of MediaPortal but i didn't found some architectur guide.

At least sorry for my bad english but i'm better at formal languages ;).

Sincere regards PsycoB

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi psicob,

:D for sharing your ideas!

As you may know we don't plan to make huge changes to MP1 anymore: we would like to have a very stable 1.1.0 release.
    All those goodies are for MP2.

But if you feel confortable with creating a patch we may review it and judge the risks.

Simone

psycob

Portal Member
    March 22, 2009
    Maybe its a good idea to have a look at the mediaportal 2 sources.
    In addition to that i will have a second look at the sources of mediaportal 1 and estimate the time for writing a patch.

THX for the information.

Sincere regards PsycoB

psycob

Portal Member
    March 22, 2009
    So i had a look at the sources aggain. The main problem is, that every gui control must be changed.
    Maybe its a better idea to implement for the upcoming version 2.0. Is there any change to get involved as a developer?

Regards PsycoB

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    So i had a look at the sources aggain. The main problem is, that every gui control must be changed.
    Maybe its a better idea to implement for the upcoming version 2.0. Is there any change to get involved as a developer?

Sure. Contact Albert (MP2 lead developer) either directly or publicly in this thread and discuss with him what requirements we have for MP2 developers. Mainly programming & team working skills and the interest in working with MP2 / open source are the key factors. You could also start digging into the MP2 source code and provide a patch that shows your skills.

psycob

Portal Member
    March 22, 2009
    I already had a look at the source code of mediaportal 1 and 2. At the roadmap of mediaportal 2 all items already have assigned to a developer. If there any smaller change request for mediaportal 2 i would be pleasent if this would be assigned to me.

Thank you PsycoB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom