[Change Request] XmlTv - Hard drive activity. (1 Viewer)

volt

Portal Member
November 2, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi everyone!

I'm on a mission from god! ;) to avoid unnecessary hard drive activity on my server.
The reason why I hunt this kind of thing is that I discovered that my hardrive "never" goes to sleep mode on my server. A such a thing could have some impact of the life time of the hard drive. Other considerations is the noice and power consumption (problably not so important for most of us).

So one off my many issues to fix, was to take a look at the XmlTv plugin for the Tv-Server.

[Current solution:]
The XmlTv plugin check for changes in the file tvguide.xml every minute. Which ends in some HD activity.

[Proposed change request:]
Instead of polling the file for changes it's possible to use events, with the FileSystemWatcher.
With that solution you have no hard drive activity at all, you get an event when someone has updated the tvguide.xml file.

I have attach the proposed solution (source code) which I also have verified, also attached the log file of the current solution.

The log file is created by a tool called Process Monitor and could be used to track HD activty as well as other things. See [File and Disk Utilities] on Windows Sysinternals: Documentation, downloads and additional resources

Any feedback or comments are welcome, thanks!

BR
Rickard

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom