Change to TV operation with 1.16.0 upgrade (2 Viewers)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @joecrow
    I repeat that I don't know if the change was accidental or intentional.

In the same way that you think it's reasonable for the change to be explained, I also think it's reasonable to ask you and everybody else here to justify your requests to change the behaviour back. :)

I note that changes won't always be reverted or made optional. Sometimes it's just not possible to please everybody.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I note that changes won't always be reverted or made optional. Sometimes it's just not possible to please everybody.
    I have followed most of the threads relating to the development of MP 1.16, and I don't remember seeing any discussion about this change in the behaviour of the user interface. This suggests that either the change was unintentional :(, or that it was slipped in without discussion because the perpetrator thought that it was a good idea. :eek:

In my view, MP should tread extremely carefully when making changes to the externals of the product (either changes to the user interface, or changes that worsen performance). Users feel disrespected if MP takes away something that the user values. :cry:

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    In my view, MP should tread extremely carefully when making changes to the externals of the product (either changes to the user interface, or changes that worsen performance). Users feel disrespected if MP takes away something that the user values. :cry:
    I agree: it's a tight-rope, and we do tread carefully.

The other side of the rope is that in my opinion it's unreasonable for "users" (hate that term!) to expect things to never change, always suit their "use cases", or for us to always provide a means for previous behaviour to restored. Over time those expectations are capable of bringing development to a standstill and/or causing an explosion in the number of settings.

I'm also very aware that the views expressed in our forum aren't always representative of the wider community (everybody who uses MediaPortal).

Balance is required.

We won't always get it right... and it's impossible to please everybody anyway.

Let's see if the developer responsible for the change steps forward with more info.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Same behaviour in 1.17pr, maybe a bug report will get some attention.:sneaky: OP?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm running version 1.17pr on my desktop PC and have the same problem there, so given perhaps a stronger dev. focus I will report it here and see what we get. Is that OK by you, I am concious that you identified the problem first and don't want to steal your thunder, as it were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom