[fixed] Changing TV channel sometimes fails (1 Viewer)

sukceso

Portal Pro
November 6, 2008
Herrenberg
Home Country
Germany Germany
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.0 SVN 28079
MediaPortal Skin: Avalon
Windows Version: Windows7 64-Bit
CPU Type: Intel Core i5-750
HDD: Western Digital 2 TB
Memory: 4 GB DDR3 Crucial Value PC1333 CL9
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon 6570
Video Card Driver: 11.6b
Sound Card: Onboard
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Digital Everywhere FloppyDTV S2/CI with Unicam (5.23) and HD+ card
1. TV Card Type: DVB-S2
1. TV Card Driver: 5.7
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink PowerDVD 11
MPEG2 Audio Codec: LAF Audio
h.264 Video Codec: Cyberlink PowerDVD 11
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Astra 19.2 E
HTPC Case: Sharkoon Rebel 9
Cooling:
Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 450 W
Remote: Logitech Harmony 525
TV: Benq 24" Monitor
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Sometimes changing the TV channel fails. After a few seconds, the picture (image) of the previous channel is shown. After a few seconds, I can stop the TV ("b" key") and switch to another channel, which then works again. It seems for me that all channels of the transponder of the failed channel do not work for some time from there on.

It happened today (time was 20:07:30) when I switched quite often mainly between HD+ channels (currently testing my HD+ card in the PC). So far it happened only with scrambled channels. I know that my scenario might not be 100% supported, but hopefully somebody can take a short look at the logs and probably sees a reason for it. This is no general HD+ problem, because it usually works correctly.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Stefan

I think the problem is probably with a plugin. There are quite a few exceptions in your logs related to an "AvalonEditor" plugin. Perhaps try disabling that and see if the problems go away. If they do then please report the issue to the plugin developer. Otherwise, please use the watchdog to start MP with all plugins and skins disabled and attempt to reproduce the problem that way.

mm

sukceso

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2008
    Herrenberg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi mm1352000,

thank you very much for looking into it. I just tested with Mediaportal - Debug and it happened again. The logs are attached. I first tuned into a free HD channel and then into a scrambled HD channel. But it also happened when I first go to a SD channel and then switch to a scrambled channel. I can stop TV and switch to another unscrambed channel, everything ok there. Mediaportal does not stop, it keeps working.
    Interestingly, I then started TV Server Configuration and went to the Manual Control tab. On this page, the scrambed HD channel worked correctly, timeshift was started. Could it be a timing problem between server writing the TS file and Mediaportal reading it? Or some strange content one these channels? BTW, I'm on a single seat installation, everything on one PC.

I hope that the logs show some indicator. If you want me to do more tests, please let me know, I happy to do so.

Thanks again, many regards

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again Stefan

Thanks for the new logs. I think this problem is related to all the "Pes 0-0-1 fail" entries in your TsReader logs. My understanding is that those entries are written when the stream does not match the expected format. In other words, the stream is corrupt or encrypted... so this could indicate problems with your CAM being unable to decrypt the channels, or perhaps the firewire bus getting overloaded.

You could try using the DVB-S network provider instead of the generic network provider ("preferred network provider" setting in the tuner settings - info), but I don't know if that would help. Obviously you should also use the latest drivers and firmware if there is no good reason not to. Finally, I notice you're using the latest SVN - you may want to try patching your ConditionalAccess class as follows in the SendPids() function:

Code:
              if ((pids.Count != 0) && (isDvbs) && (((DVBSChannel)channel).ModulationType == [B]ModulationType.Mod8Psk[/B]))
              {
                for (int i = 0; i < HwPids.Count; ++i)
                {
                  Log.Log.Info("FireDTV: HW Filtered Pid : 0x{0:X}", HwPids[i]);
                }
                _digitalEveryWhere.SetHardwarePidFiltering(isDvbc, isDvbt, true, isAtsc, HwPids);
              }

Please let me know if that helps.

mm

sukceso

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2008
    Herrenberg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi again mm1352000,

the code patch you suggested did not change anything. Still the "Pes 0-0-1 fail" messages and still after some time failing on a channel switch. But these "Pes 0-0-1 fail" message are also in the log when the channel switch works.
    I have to try the other idea later today.

From what I see, the problem seems to be for me on the "client" side (TsReader or player). When the channel switch fails, the TV is still "running" and I can stop it with pressing "b". I think that TsWriter is still writing to the .ts file, but the reader somehow fails without showing a message on the screen. Ideally it should show something like "cannot read data".

I have two ideas how to make progress:
    1) Somehow make sure the stream is correct. But I assume that can only be done by changing the CI-Module. Any ideas?
    2) Take a look at the .ts and either make TsReader more tolerant or at least find out the reason for the failure. Is there a way to somehow copy the .ts file after the channel switch failed so that it can be analyzed? I assume it is in use by the TsWriter and is deleted as soon as I stop the TV. Suggestions welcome!

Thank you very much for alle your help and effort to make MediaPortal the best HTPC software out there...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again Stefan

But these "Pes 0-0-1 fail" message are also in the log when the channel switch works...
    Well that is a bit strange. Do the messages go away after awhile? Perhaps the CAM just takes awhile to start decrypting, although I would have thought that TsWriter would have stopped timeshifting if it detected that the stream was scrambled (you are correct - TsWriter seems to be working without problem).

Ideally it should show something like "cannot read data".
    Trickier said than done because I think TsReader itself is still *trying* to read the file. We need to figure out what is actually failing.

1) Somehow make sure the stream is correct. But I assume that can only be done by changing the CI-Module. Any ideas?
    Definitely, trying another CI module is a good idea if you can do it.

2) Take a look at the .ts and either make TsReader more tolerant or at least find out the reason for the failure.
    Again, another good idea. :)

Is there a way to somehow copy the .ts file after the channel switch failed so that it can be analyzed? I assume it is in use by the TsWriter and is deleted as soon as I stop the TV.
    Yes it is in use, and yes it is deleted as soon as you stop TV. However that doesn't stop you from copying it while the TV is running. If you could:

1. Start MP in windowed mode (alt+enter to switch from full <--> windowed).
    2. Reproduce the problem (ie. try to switch channels and observe the failure, *but don't stop TV*).
    3. Open Windows Explorer (or whatever file browser you use) and navigate to your timeshifting folder.
    4. Wait until the size of the timeshifting file reaches ~50 MB - roughly 30 seconds.
    5. Take a copy of the timeshift file.
    6. Stop TV in MP.
    7. Attempt to play the file in VLC or similar and let me know the result.
    8. You could upload the timeshift buffer to our FTP server so that I can analyse why TsReader doesn't like it. Login details for the FTP server are at the bottom of this wiki page.

mm

sukceso

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2008
    Herrenberg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi again,

I tried to upload a file to the FTP. I hope it works because it seems that it was not submitted completely. Please let me know. The filename is "Germany_DVBS2-VOX-HD_scrambled_ChannelSwitchProblem.ts.ts". It contains first a short part of "VOX HD", which Mediaportal was not showing, then ZDF HD (worked) and then back to VOX HD, which did not work in Mediaportal, but at least this second switched can be shown in VLC.
    ZDF HD is FTA, VOX HD is scrambed.

Thanks again for all your support!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again Stefan

I've taken a look at the sample you provided and I also have trouble with it. Specifically: I have trouble with the audio for VOX HD, which seems to be completely garbled. I can't tell if it is encrypted or corrupted, but my guess is that it is encrypted because it does not have proper PES header syntax.

Could you try something for me please? What I'd like you to do is to update to the latest SVN and try again. The reason I ask you to do this is that Wbunaarf and I discovered a bug in the Digital Everywhere card handling for high-data-rate (DVB-S2) transponders in the last few days, and the fix was committed a couple of hours ago. The audio stream may have been corrupted because the data bus was swamped...

Two other questions:
    1. Does the card and CAM work with these channels in other software?
    2. Is the problem consistent, or does it only happen sometimes... randomly... with some channels... a certain transponder...?

mm

sukceso

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2008
    Herrenberg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi mm1352000,

I have now updated to the latest SVN, but I did not have enough time yesterday to do longer tests. In an initial test the problem did not occur. I also updated the firmware of my CI Module to another version (installed the latest Giga CAM firmware to my Unicam), maybe this helps as well.

To answer your other questions:

1. Does the card and CAM work with these channels in other software?
    I have not tested with any other software yet, can try with DVB-Viewer over the weekend.

2. Is the problem consistent, or does it only happen sometimes... randomly... with some channels... a certain transponder...?
    It only happens sometimes. I can change to the same channel before and a few minutes later the problem occurs when switching back to this channel. It's also not only one channel, it can happen with all scrambled channels. I does not happen with FTA channels.

I will let you know after more testing of the weekend whether the combination of the latest SVN and new firmware solved the problem.

Thank you again very much for all your support.

sukceso

Portal Pro
    November 6, 2008
    Herrenberg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

just an update after some testing and HTPC usage over the weekend: the problem did not occur on the computer with the newest SVN and the CAM firmware update. Because I also had the same problem on another computer with the Digital Devices TV card, it seems for me that it is more related with the CAM firmware. After using the Giga blue firmware with the original keys instead of the Unicam firmware on my Unicam module, I have not seen the problem and also the PES 0-0-1 entries in the log seem to be gone.

So if there are somewhere similar problems, check the CAM firmware...

Thanks again for all your support, I had we can close this thread als "solved" now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom