channel change causes tv to freeze (1 Viewer)

rexdog

Portal Member
January 1, 2010
Home Country
Australia Australia
MediaPortal Version: 1.1.2
MediaPortal Skin: xface
Windows Version: W7
CPU Type: X4 630
HDD: 2 x1Gb Samsung
Memory: 4GB
Motherboard: Lanparty 790FX
Video Card: gt220
Video Card Driver: 8.17.11.9745
Sound Card: na
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: na
1. TV Card: digital now dual digital pci
1. TV Card Type: dvt-b
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply: antec eartwatts 380W
Remote: windows mce
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection: vga

This is my first bug report, so hopefully I'v posted it in the right spot...

I had a similar issue last year, which I thought I resolved, which I thought was due to poor EPG.

When I change to *some* channels, the TV just pauses/freezes. The only way to get it to resume is to send it to standby, then to resume - then the Home screen *normally* comes back on. Occaisionally MP shuts down on resume.

Attached log files from setting debug mode, starting MP, watching a few seconds of TV, then switching channels, then freeze, then power cycle. Shouldnt be a huge log.

regards

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    13-01-2011 20:02:55.442 [1548]CTsReaderFilter::--SeekStart()-- No new seek 32.090000 ( Abs 32.090000 / 61.987793 ) - Stream compensated: 0, OnZap: 0, Force 0, Media changing: 0
    13-01-2011 20:02:55.443 [1548]CTsReaderFilter::--SeekStart()-- No new seek 32.090000 ( Abs 32.090000 / 61.987793 ) - Stream compensated: 0, OnZap: 0, Force 0, Media changing: 0
    13-01-2011 20:02:55.444 [1548]CTsReaderFilter::--SeekStart()-- No new seek 32.090000 ( Abs 32.090000 / 61.987793 ) - Stream compensated: 0, OnZap: 0, Force 0, Media changing: 0

Hi,

This is the only obvious problem I can spot from your logs. I'm not sure what it means, hopefully one of the other devs will have an idea.

Are you sure the channels in question arn't encrypted?

rexdog

Portal Member
    January 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi,

All of my channels, including the 3 that have this freezing issue, are free to air channels.

cheers

rexdog

Portal Member
    January 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    After reading the forums recently, trying to track this issue down, I saw the SHIFT +1 method for gaining info on TV channels.

All my channels are showing Display Resolution 1360x768.

Most channels are also saying the Video Resolution is 720x576 however, the channels with trouble are saying the Video Resolution is 1440 X 1080. Switching from one of the higher resolution channels immediately to a higher res channel works. And weirdly, ABC 24 which has a vid res of 1280x720, will also allow channel changing to the higher res channels.

So the problem seems to occur on lowest video resolution channel changing to highest resolution channels.

Hopefully this is the issue?

fuzzy logik

January 17, 2011
    Hi Rex, I'm also in Oz, are the channel's your having issues with Gem & Go?

MP almost locks up when I try to do anything with either of those, 7 is also tricky at times.

rexdog

Portal Member
    January 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yes, Go and Gem, as well as ABC 24 and Eleven, all intermittently lock up. I'v tried setting different codecs, and have updated my GT220 nvidia drivers, as well as updated to MP 1.1.3.

The only way to fix it from the couch is to power cycle/standby MP, then resume.

rexdog

Portal Member
    January 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    No updates, but I'm starting to think its the codecs. I had updated them, and they were as per MP recommendations, however I recently changed them as I have this weird resizing/rescaling issue. After I changed them, the rescaling seemed to fix itself up somewhat, and, I've noticed that there doesnt seem to be any freezing.

I had to change them back as I was getting other strange issues, such as some xvid not playing sound, or some tv channels not playing sound.

So I reverted all codecs back to as recommended, but now my freezing and rescaling has re-occured.

When I get time, I'm going to try another htpc software just to try it out. I love MP and have been using for 4 years, but the basic stability is currently missing. Its not user friendly for when I'm away travelling! I'd forgoe much style, design and functionality just in order to have the basics working reliably.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi folks

Just wanted to let you know that I have now read your thread several times and looked at the logs. I too can't see anything wrong in the logs and I'm left unsure as to the status of the "bug". Codec issues are relatively common, and this sounds like a classic one. The fact is that some codecs can't handle certain streams. For me that doesn't bring MP's stability into question - it just means more investigation is required on your part to find codec settings that will work well for you. If you have other problems then please do report them, and I'd welcome an update...

mm

rexdog

Portal Member
    January 1, 2010
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I've been trialing my new setup for the last week, and so far, I don't have any rescaling or freezing (fingers crossed).

My codecs were as per the latest MP guide, and I had updated drivers etc. I had already updated to MP 1.1.3, and done a clean install, but the issue persisted. Then I had a tv guide no data issue, so I decided to just completely uninstall MP and MySQL TV database. I did the complete remove, and ran CCleaner inbetween and after restarts.

After the re-install, I've only installed My tv series, Moving pictures and online videos, no skins yet.

So far, all channels have epg, no resizing and no rescaling. I'm happy as I tried medicenter but thought it was a bit crappy, although it could have been a conflict with MP. In any event, MP seems now as stable as it was when i first installed it 3 years ago. Great work to all the devs and thanks mm1352000 for looking again at the bug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom