Cheap mediaportal remote client (1 Viewer)

chris33f

Portal Pro
September 22, 2007
Home Country
France France
Hi,
I'm looking for a cheap/basic solution for a mediaportal client.
I already have the server+client on the main server machine, but I'd like to know how to get video from another room with the most simple solution connected to a TV/monitor .
Any ideas (thin client...) ?
BTW is it possible to shutdown the server machine from the remote mediaportal client ?
:D

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    the cheapest way is to use a simple home made com port remote, but it's a lot of work. In my opinion, an MS MCE remote is a much better way to go. It's not too much and virtually plug and play.

The com port option will require you to make the reciever out of very cheap components and then map all the keys from an old remote and set it all up in MP. not worth the time in my view.

chris33f

Portal Pro
    September 22, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    Maybe I didn't express correctly, it's not a remote that I need but a MP client on the network that communicates with the MP server.
    I'd like to receive TV/movies in a different room from the MP server's location.
    A PC would be ok, but I'd like the simpliest HW to do it.

canarygsr

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2007
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    I think the main problem is HD content, you need a good graphix card to do it!
    I would research a All in 1 MB (If you dont want HD try VIA epia boards).

stoked

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I'd look at the latest IGP motherboards like the Intel G45 or soon to be released Nvidia 9300/9400 mobos. If you want to save money the Nvidia 8200/8300 or AMD 780G/790GX boards are a good bet. The latter however doesn't support multi-channel LPCM. All you'll need is a case, RAM, mobo, CPU, PSU, and HD. My Mediaportal client machine for upstairs is just that, and I actually run it without a hard drive. But I spent the following:

Case w/ PSU - $50
    AMD 4050e CPU - $75
    Gigabyte Nvidia 8200 mobo - $80 (I wouldn't recommond the gigabyte for this chipset though)
    1GB RAM - $30

TOTAL: $235

You'll probably need a HD, but if you got a small one lying around it's more than enough. You're streaming everything so as long as you don't keep anything locally on the box you don't need alot of space. My MP Client machine's "virtual disk image" is only 4GB.

As for shutting down the tvserver. You can likely enable WoL and set the power management to sleep after 30min of inactivity. The only issue is how well it works between vendors. I find my Nvidia onboard NIC's seem to work well with WoL.

chris33f

Portal Pro
    September 22, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    Well I'm now thinking of something compact to put in the kitchen then move it to a bedroom or elsewhere.
    I think that a ultra compact laptop (portable) would be a good solution to have a small screen (good for kitchen ie) and then I could connect it to a wider screen.
    I wouldn't really need HD for this remote client.

BTW, is HD (tv, video files) downscaled before streaming (by the server) if my client is not HD ?

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Maybe I didn't express correctly, it's not a remote that I need but a MP client on the network that communicates with the MP server.
    I'd like to receive TV/movies in a different room from the MP server's location.
    A PC would be ok, but I'd like the simpliest HW to do it.

D'Oh. Sorry about that.

Yep, any cheap microATX motherboard with nvidia gfx from the 6150 series up will work great. The 8300 ones now work really well and don't cost much. AMD have also slashed the cost of their cheaper chips too.

Then again, I like the new Asus Eebox. google it for reviews. It's a tiny self contained complete PC and best of all, it can easily mount on the back of an LCD or plasma.

Just remember, as has been said already, these will all struggle with full HD, but the reviews all say they work well with 720HD.

Hope this helps a bit more than my earlier post :oops:

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    BTW, is HD (tv, video files) downscaled before streaming (by the server) if my client is not HD ?

At this stage, no, HD isn't downscaled. it's streamed as is.

If you go the all in one motherboard approach, it will be pretty cheap and easy to add better gfx card in the future if needed.

chris33f

Portal Pro
    September 22, 2007
    Home Country
    France France
    Sure it would be scalable, but I'd like a solution that I can bring anywhere easily (for my girlfriend :D)

magnets

Portal Member
    June 9, 2007
    Home Country
    hi,
    just my two pence, for remotly shutting down, i use the dos command:

shutdown -f -s -t 03 -s \\servername

you can save this in a bat file and double click when you shutdown, enter the same command twice like this

shutdown -f -s -t 03

and it will shutdown the local computer too.

for more info type shutdown /? into a dos box.

is
    shutdown (-f)forcing application to close, (-s)shutdown (as oppose to standby or restart), (-t 03)in 3 seconds, (-s)of remote computer "servername"

hi,
    just my two pence, for remotly shutting down, i use the dos command:

you can save this in a bat file and double click when you shutdown, enter the same command twice like this

shutdown -f -s -t 03

and it will shutdown the local computer too.

for more info type shutdown /? into a dos box.

is
    shutdown (-f)forcing application to close, (-s)shutdown (as oppose to standby or restart), (-t 03)in 3 seconds, (-s)of remote computer "servername"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom