Check Quality of your music collection (1 Viewer)

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi, i was thinking of a feature request and would like to share it to see your opinions.

I believe it would be nice to have a function in mptagthat that is in charge of checking your whole collection of music by just indicating the folder it is in. During this check, things like this could be done...

- check whether the song has coverart
    - check file info (title, album name, artist) with internet. check if it has the info and also if its correct.
    - check folder structure
    - check rename file structure.
    - check missing songs inside an album (so you can complete your albums afterwards)
    - etc..

all these are things mptagthat can do but you have to do million clicks to have a big collection all nicely organized. (ok maybe not a million but a lot if you have a big collection)

the idea would be to automate all this. after the program has analyzed all the collection, prompt the user where actions are not 100% sure. ie. if there are various results for an album and a coverart must be chosen.

maybe create a list of "pending issues", even if its just a text file at the begining, but that user can use it to go through all conflicts.

this new feature would avoid having to go folder by folder checking that every file has all the information correctely.

what are your opinions?

thanks for reading :)

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Well, this sounds rather to be some sort of scripting function.
    maybe i should / need create single actions, which can be used from GUI / Scripts and Batch jobs.
    will think about it, but seems to be a rather big task, which is definiteky worth looking at.

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    hi hwahrmann, i absolutely agree that IT IS A BIG TASK !! but you have created such an incredible program that i just wanted to point you out a way of making it even better (at least under my opinion).

there is no hurry, and you should only do it if you think its worth it and you will also benefit from it.

if you need any help on how to define the logic i can try to help you.

cheers and thanks again for reading and considering.

btw, rather than a completely unnattended script, i was thinking of one that make decision when its very sure the decision is correct, and if not, at the end of the analysis points the user to action that the program "thinks" should be done.
    ie. "MPtagthat has detected the following songs/albums do not have coverart" "confirm the suggested coverart OR select your own."
    and the same for missing tags, data, titles, etc...

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi!

There are some products outside MPTagThat, they can do this!

1. Helium Music Manager (unfortunately no wavpack support), but can handle SQL Databases or

2. Musicbee! I use this for organizing my Music-Collection!

But it would be grest to do this inside MPTagTaht!

Best regards

Helios

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    ill try to make the mockups soon, im a bit short of time. i already have in paper the coverart section.

i still trying to decide how to handle missing info, tags, filenames etc..

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Hi,

I've been using MPTagThat for a few days to organize my collection.

It's great !

For the proposed feature my suggestion is the following :

I think the ideal would be to build an error/warning list like when you build an application. Then the user would iteratively fix the warning / errors by giving some input.

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Hi,

I've been using MPTagThat for a few days to organize my collection.

It's great !

For the proposed feature my suggestion is the following :

I think the ideal would be to build an error/warning list like when you build an application. Then the user would iteratively fix the warning / errors by giving some input.

something like that is the idea. however i am trying to figure out how the program will notice when a song inside a folder is not correctly named/tagged/filename. and how to prompt easily to user.

i believe that "one folder per album" makes it much easier, what are your opinions?

the covertart part would be easier, just look for songs with missing coverart, when one file is find it can analyse the file + the folder structure + files in the same folder = decide for the correct coverart to apply, and in case of doubt ask user showing some suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom