Ci+/hd+ faq (1 Viewer)

Ragendorf

Portal Pro
March 24, 2008
Braunschweig
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello Guys,

i want to give you a short Overview about the new Encryption of the Cable-/Satellite-Providers as a FAQ.

1. At first above Sat and Cable only HD-Program will be encrypted with the exigency of an CI+-compatible Receiver, on Cable every Private-TV will be encrypted as most of you know, there will be no Changes. SD-TV above Satellite will be free/not encrypted.
Public Service Broadcasting like ARD, ZDF, Phoenix and so on will be everytime free to watch, already in HD-Quality.

2. Every Cable-Receiver ( i mean to say DVB-Boxes, not TV-Cards) will work as before. There will be for the present no Changes.

3. CI+ will come in early 2010 for Cable-Users.

HD+ will work from the 1. November, because the german Providers RTL and VOX will provide there Program from this Time seperately in HD and SD-Quality. In the early 2010 above Satellite Pro7 and Sat.1 will also start with parallel SD and HD-TV.

4. It is (at this Time) not possible to watch and/or record TV with any HTPC/TV-Card. Attention: There will be CI+/HD+-Modules available, but this only 50%, you also must have a CI+/HD+-compatible CI-Slot, and this is not designated for PC-based Solutions. So, please save your Money...

This Information is confirmed on the 22.10.2009 by Technisat, Hauppauge and Terratec ( i mailed with them).

5. If you want to watch HD-TV above Satellit, there is an Subscription for 365 Days required. This will cost 50.-€ per Year. It ends automatically, there is no need to quit by yourself.
For Cable i have no more concrete Infos, will hand in them later when i know it definitly.

6. There is no Possibility to skip Ad´s in Recordings or Timeshift. You can skip inside the Movie/Show, but you have to watch the Ad´s.

7. The TV-Providers have the Right/Possibilty to limit your Recordings. They can decide if you´re allowed to record a Show or not. Or they can limit the Time you can watch it. For example they can decide that you can watch your Recording for one Week after you recorded it, and after one Week it is useless.

What also is interesting and important to know: When you recorded something (in HD) and you Quit your Subscription, your no longer able to watch your Recordings!

I will work continiously on this FAQ. If anyone have additional Infos or found a Mistake, please inform me. :D

And if anyone could have a look above my grammar i would be very pleased. :oops:

Best regards

--Jens--

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    hehe, your translation of "öffentlich-rechtlich" sounds kinda strange ;) I believe the correct term would be "public service broadcasting"...

HD+ completely sucks but in the end I hope those greedy s**** from rtl/pro7/etc. will realise that noone will pay that kind of money for watching all those skripted reality bullshit shows in HighDef (and even getting a worse user-experience because of HD+).

In the meantime this could be a chance for smaller tv stations (ServusTv in Austria/Germany offers great FTA HD content) to get a piece of the cake.

So much for wishful thinking, thx for the FAQ ;)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Will that be the dead of HTPC´s then ? It seems so. :(

For some channels (encrypted HD channels) yes, it will be impossible to use DVB cards in PC. It might be possible that Microsoft comes up with a protected path solution, but I doubt it as they are mainly interested in USA market with the MCE. Also that solution wouldn't most probably allow any open source application to access those encrypted streams.

Ragendorf

Portal Pro
    March 24, 2008
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey Guys,

i hope this will not be the dead for HTPC´s and Projects like Mediaportal, but it really seems so. I made a Poll (take a look here https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...g-ist-euch-die-tv-funktion-mediaportal-72433/ ) and over 50% of the Users would no longer use there HTPC´s if they only can watch Public Service Broadcasting and/or Internet-TV.

I´m a Bit worried...

But on the other Hand, as DieBagger mentioned, this is a Chance for smaller (and maybe better) TV-Stations with FTA-HD-Program. I´m taut what the Future will bring.

P.S. To the Mods who speak/write better english: Feel free to modify my Grammar. :D

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    i hope this will not be the dead for HTPC´s and Projects like Mediaportal, but it really seems so. I made a Poll (take a look here https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...g-ist-euch-die-tv-funktion-mediaportal-72433/ ) and over 50% of the Users would no longer use there HTPC´s if they only can watch Public Service Broadcasting and/or Internet-TV.

Don't worry, at least I will be still using MediaPortal. I haven't ever paid for tv channels (FTA DVB + Blu-ray are enough) and I definitely wouldn't pay for such crap when skipping commercials aren't possible :)

JoeSmith

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    the htpc will not die because of that. First of all there are still channels to watch. I think it will take a long time till ci+ will have penetrated (if ever) the market.
    Still, even if it does, a htpc is of great value if you use all of it's capabilities. The online market for video content is still rising, plugins like MovingPictures and TvSeries are keeping the htpc (MP) alive for me.
    Most of the people that i have showed my htpc didn't give a crap about tv - it was all about music, movies, series and how they were presented - and they all loved it.
    Maybe even CI+ will be hacked (don't know any specifics about ci+) so that you can use a normal ci card. There are so many possiblities. Right now we should be happy that htpcs are great and might be even more great in the future.

Ci+ overview :

recordings can be forbidden (the tv station can decide wheather you are allowed to record or not)
    playback time of recordings can be limited (six hours - 61 days)
    timeshift can be disabled or limited
    recordings can be connected to the key of the recorder and will only play on that device
    fastforward can be disabled
    it will not be possible to decode more than a single stream (no multituners, pip,...)
    it will not be possible to decode different pay tv providers if the use different encryption
    hd signals will only be send to hd-ready certified devices (hdcp)
    ci+ compatible devices can be shut down remotely if they compromise the protection
    price might be 150€ higher due to licencing and high hardware demand

wow, that is some serious bullshit

but we still need to remember one thing. How man Ci Cams are out there now ? maybe millions
    They want you to buy a new receiver and pay 50€ a year for some crappy hd tv. Right now i don't think that a lot of people will order that. i really hope that astra gets a good kick in the nuts.

ichessblumen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    here comes my prediction.

people used to have SDTV since 60 years and pay a fee for the public broadcasting stations.
    commercial broadcasting stations have now earned money since 24 years in germany by selling their advertisement slots.
    they could have invested that money in new equipment instead of buying ocean-going yachts, ferraris and castles :D and would be in pool position now.

but now it is a stillborn child. of course a small percentage of 40 million households in germany( let alone europe) will buy new equipment but it'll never turn into a profitable business ( see 18 years long story of SKY/premiere/D1 in germany).

so htpc will not die, people will buy (lend) dvds/bluray discs or video-files. other sources not to mention. and put it on the hard disks (itunes is a good example for successful business) .
    the content counts...and if SDTV is already shitty the high definition will not improve it anyway....:p

i'll lean back and see how the money burns.... :D

polarie

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 20, 2006
    Hasloh (near Hamburg)
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    the custommer will decide if ci+ will come or not.

if the viewers wanna have the SD-stuff (sorry but most of the F2A program is really bad an sh**) in HD they will pay.

but if no one or less people will pay for HD ... the will have a look again at their policy ...

future will see

EDIT:

and as it was said here: SD is still Free2Air ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom