Clean Install - MP wont Start (1 Viewer)

MikeFellows

Portal Member
August 28, 2007
Home Country
England England
I have done a clean install of XP SP3, used windows update and updated the computer with all available updates

installed MP no problems

however as soon as I try to run MP it loads the beginner/advanced screen and hangs no log files are created unless i run MP instead of config and it the log just says no xml file created running config

I have set the whole thing up twice now and both times I experience the same problem and i dont really know what to try now

Thanks

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Mike

2 things, are you installing using a admin account, also any antivirus software running, a user has reported avg blocking MP from starting.

MikeFellows

Portal Member
    August 28, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    oh i do appreciate that ive reached a dead end (thats my im posting)

Im tempted to do another clean install with a different copy of XP SP3 and only installing the required updates and no codecs etc...

then going from there

Thanks for you help

Henri_V

February 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hello,

it looks as I am having exactly the same problem.
    I could not solve it up to now, but will continue to try to solve or understand what's going wrong.
    Hopefully one of us can find a solution.

Henri_V

February 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hello again,

I have done a completely new, clean install of my pc.

My hardware: motherboard Asus P5N7A-VM (including graphics), 2Gb memory, Intel*Core 2 Duo E7400, case Zalman HD160XT plus, HD Western Digital Caviar GP 1TB SATA2, standard sata dvd-rom drive, mouse and keyboard.

Description of the new installation process (following as much as possible the guidelines in the MP manual):
    - install a version of XP MCE; no additional updates installed
    - install MB hardware drivers
    - install dotnet framework 3.5; in the previous install process I started installing dotnet 2.0, as described in the MP installation guidelines, but the MP_setup program stops with the message that dotnet 2.0 is not installed! Adding dotnet 3.5 solves the problem. Is this normal?
    - install visual C++ 2005 SP1
    - install Haali media splitter
    - install FFDshow
    - install vsfilter
    - install mediaportal 1.0 (I don't use TV for the moment)

MP is now running without any problem.
    I don't know what or where the problem was, but after some hours of testing, the pc seems to run very stable.
    The install also solved a few other issues I could not explain. The most important one was that, when starting MP, it hangs at loading directx, and the only way to get out of this situation was doing a cntrl-alt-del. Then MP continued as normal. I have seen on the forum that other people have this problem also.

Anyhow, in the mean time I also installed additional drivers for the case (touch screen LCD, remote control) and some plugins for MP.
    Everything looks fine. But I can not explain why!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom