Clients extremely sow when wathcing through MyTV bnut not through MyVideos (1 Viewer)

snorre

Portal Member
April 23, 2004
Server spec:
TV-Server Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo Wide
Windows Version: WinXP SP2
CPU Type: Intel E6300 1,83 GHz
HDD: Samsung 500 GB
Memory: 1 GB DD2 PC6400
Motherboard: ASUS P5B-E
Video Card: GeForce 6600
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: FireDTV
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: Latest digital everyweher
2. TV Card: FireDTV
2. TV Card Type: DVB-T
2. TV Card Driver: Latest digital everyweher
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Cyberlink
h.264 Video Codec: Cyberlink
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply: Seasonic S12
Remote: MCE
TV: LG AN110 Projector
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI-HDMI

Hi!

I have one MP server and four clients, one client running on the same machine as the server and the other on separate machines. The client on the server machine is working perfectly, rapid response and everything.

However, all of the external clients are very slow when it comes to watching TV from the server. Starting TV takes approx 30 seconds, jumping back and forward +/-15 seconds is so slow that I have to wait for more than 15 seconds for it to jump.

This behaviour is also present when watching recorded TV on the clients from the server. However, when I access the recorded TV-files directly from a shared folder on the server, the response is excellent! This all started when I upgraded to 1.0 from 0.2.3.0 a couple of weeks ago.

I have tried to turn off all firewall, exchanged the network router, but since it is actually quick when playing a .TS file I think the problem must be something else. SQL Server Express slow on remote connections?

Any ideas?

vecnar

Portal Pro
April 21, 2008
Home Country
Ireland Ireland
What PC spec are your clients? Could it be that they use integrated graphic cards?
Do you see anything suspicious in the logs on client side or server side?

snorre

Portal Member
April 23, 2004
Solved - Dlink router problem

Just wanted to tell you that the problem is solved. It turned out that my new and shiny draft n-router Dlink DIR-655 was the problem. After changing back to my old WLAN router everything works fast and smooth. I have tried to config my new router in every way but RTSP is always really slow. Anyone else with such a problem? Thanks anyway for you help!

snorre

Portal Member
April 23, 2004
Interesting, I assume yours works just fine? Have you opened any ports for MP or done something other than default settings? I have HW A4 and FW 1.21EU.

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I have delays in loading MP, while the Tvplugin is trying to connect to the server I assume. At times turing on TV on a client can take a long time, but not always. I have no problems with delay during skips.

I had problems unrelated to MP with FW 1.21, & had to downgrade to 1.20 within hours of upgrading to 1.21.

I wonder now whether the delays I'm experiencing, while not as bad as yours, are also related to my router. I'll have to try setting the clients to static & run them with a switch only.

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Solution to router issue

So I checked whether the router was at fault here, by eliminating it & just using a switch. Everything became VERY fast. So I started digging through the router options to find the culprit.

For me the problem setting was in the Setup section, network menu (on left), manual settings tab. In there is an option checkbox for DNS relay. It was on, & I turned it off. I then had to do a DHCP refresh on all my systems, so they would pick up my ISPs DNS servers for internet access.

Since this change MP is a whole new experience. MP has been slow to load on all clients as the plugins loaded. It used to pause for ~10 secs during plugin loading. Now the plugins loading msg is only there for maybe 1 sec.

I was having a problem of channel changes not displaying the new channel unless I pause/unpause. A number of others are complaining of this same thing, so I figured it was a MP's fault. Since the DNS relay was turned off, all channel changes are instant, it's fantastic.

Thanks for pointing to the router Snorre, I never would have thought it was part of the problem. It's odd that MP only started having a problem in releases after 1.0 though. My router has been set like that since I bought it, and channel changes have always been fine till I recently started trying the last two SVN releases.

snorre

Portal Member
    April 23, 2004
    Thank you x4mer! The DNS relay setting made all the difference! Starting TV and switching channels is now faster than ever! This problem has kept me annoyed for months, finally my clients are back in business again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom