[NVIDIA] Clone display to 2 LCD TV (1 Viewer)

vencav

Portal Member
February 10, 2009
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
Hi all,

I have HTPC with MSI w. NVIDIA 9800 chip. There are two DVI-outputs. I am using DVI2HDMI cable to connect card to two LCD TV - Samsung, full HD - 1920x1080 - one in living room, second in my home office. I am using clone - I start looking movie in living room and then I am able to see photos in office, etc.

The problem is, that if I turn on HTPC and second LCD TV is off, I have to detect devices againt and have to set "Clone". Yes, I am able to use keyboard shortcut to do this, but I am searching for some way to do this easier - I need all the time to be display in "Clone" - without any dependencies whitch LCD is switched on.

I know about HDMI splitters etc but I am searching for now for software solution - is there any way how to enable something like FORCE CLONNING in drivers or is there some utility whitch will do this automaticaly everytime when I switch on or resume my HTPC ?

Many thanks for help ! :)
Vaclav
:D

ado_civon

Portal Member
December 13, 2006
Queensland
Home Country
Try updating your nvidia drivers, i run dual display all the time and the only time the clone doesn't behave is on boot up but once the drivers are loaded, ie. the windows welcome screen appears, the system runs cloning fine.

Its just your settings in windows display properties, maybe you don't have the nvidia control panel installed.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Try disabling the nVidia driver service in 'msconfig' (and use standby/sleep instead of power down).

Tony

vencav

Portal Member
    February 10, 2009
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    Hi people,

I am using latest nVidia drivers, latest DirectX and everything, clonning is working perfectly after boot-up but booth LCDs must be switched on during boot.

Thanks Owlsroost, disabling of this service had partial efect - it seems that now when I once set up the clonning mode it is working till I switch off HTPC - I could use sleep - stand-by S3 without problems.

If you have any idea how to solve it with possibility rebooting PC (set up clone display only once) let me know :)

Thanks,

Vaclav

browny123

March 11, 2010
    Home Country
    I have a similar problem. Clone is fine until the TV is put into standy or switched off. When it is back on I have to restart nvidia and locate devices. As soon as the TV is switched off the PC revcerts to single monitor. Without the HDMI switch all is OK. Does the switch not allow the "two to talk" or something

shorns76

Portal Member
    January 20, 2009
    Home Country
    Gonna take a punt here and assume you're all using win 7 (these problems are infequent on vista and XP didn't have them at all)..... Seems to be a fairly big problem although it actually took me ages to find out anything about it. I use ATI and first thought it was hardware specific but it appears it's related to windows 7 and the way it protects blu-ray content, requiring all your hardware to constantly broadcast EDID signals even during standby, or it'll disable them until you restart (so you can't swap from a display to a recording device during protected content playback). My projector (an epson) doesn't and it's a massive pain in the arse - disabling driver specific hardware monitoring sometimes solves some of the problems but from what I can see no one solution fixes every problem related to it and Microsoft don't appear in a hurry to solve the issue. Doesn't help much but at least it gives you more info about what is going on.

The initial post that got me onto all this is here:

KVM switch + Windows 7 creates monitor switching nightmare

a post from a guy called Xenubite suggests a workaround but I haven't tried it yet so will let you know how it goes soon

Sean

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for that info - well spotted. 'Lost' monitor problems do happen on Vista as well with the recent nVidia drivers (which are basically Win 7 drivers, so have some of the same issues).

You could also try the 'devcon rescan' workaround (see the links in my sig below) to revive 'lost' monitors.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom