"Close enough" matching for TV cards? (1 Viewer)

Grayda

Portal Member
September 11, 2006
Near Melbourne, Australia
Home Country
I bought myself a LeadTek WinFast DVT200H card the other week, and with much troubles, got it working. The problem? The device name in the CaptureCardDefinitions.xml file had the words (Panasonic) added to the end of the Capture name.

A good feature for upcoming MP releases, would be a "Close Enough" factor. When you run the setup wizard or config.exe and add a card, it should list some "possible matches" for your card, and let you pick one. This would ensure that people new to MediaPortal can get their card working quicker, and spend less time on the forums asking why things don't work right.

Hope everyone gets what I mean :)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    A good feature for upcoming MP releases, would be a "Close Enough" factor. When you run the setup wizard or config.exe and add a card, it should list some "possible matches" for your card, and let you pick one. This would ensure that people new to MediaPortal can get their card working quicker, and spend less time on the forums asking why things don't work right.
    the next TV-Engine (3.0) will no longer require a capturecarddefinitions.xml ;)

Grayda

Portal Member
    September 11, 2006
    Home Country
    That's why I love open-source software. Always something new and exciting that you can take part in. Thanks for the info! No point in asking when it'll be out, but I was just wondering HOW that kind of thing would work?

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    just wondering HOW that kind of thing would work?
    frodo has started the TV-Server from 0.
    so the whole code is new! :)

the new engine does not need to look in a file to find supported tv-cards, its looking for TV-Cards (BDA drivers) wich are installed in the system.

you just need a card with BDA drivers then.

btw. never by Hybrid cards. you may save room in your HTPC case, but they have too many flaws
    - not all tuners can be used at the same time
    - analog part in 99% software-encoding
    - switching between tuners can be problematic

Grayda

Portal Member
    September 11, 2006
    Home Country
    Thanks for the heads up on the hybrid cards. A bit too late for me unfortunately. I bought a WinFast DVT2000H card the other week. As a result (I think because of the card, but maybe because of MP. I have a thread Here about my issues with a Hybrid card, dealing in part with loss of signal despite being hooked up with a big, stable aerial, and config.exe showing near perfect reception). But thanks for the info :)

DVB driver detection definitely sounds like the way to go. I REALLY admire the team for providing such an awesome engine for TV playback. Being a programmer for 11+ years, it's still stuff that's way beyond me.

Thanks for the info and keep up the awesome work :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom