Codec Help - Setting up 5.1 Surround Sound through PC Speaker System. (No Decoder) (1 Viewer)

sorrowuk

Portal Pro
July 3, 2010
Ok I'm totally stuck so really need some help from someone. I'm not too bad with video codecs and that but I don't have a clue really about audio codecs and all the different formats etc etc.

Basically I have a Logitech x540 Speaker System connected to my PC. It plugs in to my motherboard sound ports with 3 cables. One for Front speakers. One for Rear Speakers and one for center and subwoofer.

So I have Center Speaker. Subwoofer. 2 Front Speakers (left & right) and 2 Rear Speakers (Left & Right)

Now I have played a wma surround sound test clip (saying front left, front right etc) and it works and comes out the correct speaker its referring too etc.

The problem is I'm not sure how to setup mediaportal and ffdshow to work with this.
The speakers can't use passthrough as they dont have a decoder. I need a codec to decode the audio and then send PCM/LPCM analog audio to the speakers.

Can someone tell me if I have to change any media portal settings for this? And what settings do I set on ffdshow audio codec.

I tried setting the mixer setting to 3/0/2 and output 16bit integer but I dont have surround sound in mediaportal.

When I am on BBC HD or ITV HD or channel 4 HD (on AC3 audio) should I get 5.1 surround sound. At the moment it only comes through the left and right front speakers.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: Codec Help - Setting up 5.1 Surround Sound through PC Speaker System. (No Decoder

First, run MP in windowed mode (so you can see/pop up the FFDShow systray menu) and check it actually is using FFDShow when you play TV.

Next check in FFDShow that the audio stream is 5.1 surround - AC3 can be anything from mono to 5.1 channels. The 'Volume' section in FFDShow has level meters so you easily see (while it's playing) if there is any audio on a particular channel.

Tony

sorrowuk

Portal Pro
    July 3, 2010
    Re: Codec Help - Setting up 5.1 Surround Sound through PC Speaker System. (No Decoder

Thanks for the help.

Hovering over FFDShow it says:

Input : AC3 Stereo 48000 Hz (libavcodec)

Output: PCM, 5.1 48000Hz , 16bit integer

So is my output correct. Its just my input is not in 5.1 surround sound ?
    I've tried loads of tv channels and hd channels and they all say Stereo. Is there no UK channels on satellite that are in 5.1 surround sound?
    ITV HD, BBC HD, SKY 1 HD, CHANNEL 4 HD, they all say AC3 Stereo :confused:

Also is my output right. Is it best to have it on 48000hz and 16bit integer ?

EDIT : Ok, seems to be working fine :) . Found some of the SKY UK movie channels have 5.1 AC3 surround :). Theres not many channels that have surround sound.

So just wondering is my current output the best settings for my setup, or should I change anything (Output: PCM, 5.1 48000Hz , 16bit integer)

EDIT 2 : Ok got a problem, Its saying Input AC3, 5.1 , 48000hz
    Output : PCM, 5.1 , 48000 HZ , 16bit

Its only coming out my center speaker though. Thats the only speaker that has sound.

EDIT 3: Ok I think its fine now. Its coming out the other speakers. Just the voices only come out the center speaker but I think its meant to be like that yeah ?

Is this best settings for output then - PCM, 5.1 , 48000 HZ , 16bit

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

Yes, the centre channel is mostly used for dialogue, and yes, 48 kHz, 16 bit is probably the most compatible output format (but 24 bit and 32 bit float would probably work OK too).

Tony

sorrowuk

Portal Pro
    July 3, 2010

Thanks for helping :)

I've got another annoying little problem now.

If I watch live tv or recorded tv the video is about 1/2 second behind the audio. So its out of sync.

The thing is if I play the recorded video files with windows media player which is using the same video and audio codec(ffdshow) it plays in sync.

So why is mediaportal playing it out of sync. What can I do ?

I dont want to change the ffdshow delay because then everything I play outside mediaportal is out of sync

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom