Comments on minor tweaks ... (1 Viewer)

PontusBerg

Portal Member
September 29, 2009
Spånga
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
First;

Moving Pictures is a brilliant plug-n that really enhance the experience of MediaPortal!

There are a few things I'd like to suggest;

# I has English as first language, but later changed to Swedish. I had already made quite few manual advustments to what the scanner had done so I am not too keen to fully rescan from scratch, but just to fetch the content in Swedish. (Key limitation is now having a mix of domestic and international certification levels, which makes implementation forthe kids difficult). Ergo; there is no convenient way to just rescan all the files

# Not even in advanced editor can I define that I do not want warning requesters for overwriting the current content? (normally if I do this accidentally, it will just download the same content again so there is no real harm)

# When the scanner comes up dry or none of the selected movies is the correct one, all I can do is insert the proper name. What about the opportunity to enter the IMDB movie ID or find it manually. Anything I enter manually will mean that there will be no relevant info for it in the user interface. In general, those without a proper reference to a valid movie are hanging in the twilight zone, visible in the movie manager

# For my children I sometimes rip the movie with Swedish text which means that the movie will appear twice with the same data. "Language" is the same for both and I can't select spoken language anywhere, which would be relevant when the children watch film. They would like to filter on spoken language.

# It would be good if the Movie manager tab contained some sort of filter function. Movies with no poster/cover are likely ones that need tweaking so filtering them out would be one valid criteria, another if it's a DVD or file format

#Any chance it would be possible to toggle the default language for the movie name? Assuming I want the names listed in Swedish in the movie manager, that's not possible as it is, is it?

# A pretty messy thing "that would be nice" is support for differentiated visible tagging. A movie is quite naturally tagged as watched if one of the family members watched it. Just to plant the idea that it could be nice if there could be levels to "watched" - one per person... (Real life scenario: I risk missing newly added movies that the teen watches after I add them but never get around to see before she does).

Thanks :D for the attention, keeping fingers crossed that an already good project will improve further...

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Thanks for the feedback PontusBerg. Some of these items are already possible, some we have planned and some will probably not happen. For the items that are scheduled, feel free to "star" the linked issue on our tracker. This will act as a vote and will also ensure you get email updates as progress on these issues is made. Going from the top:

1. In the Movie Manager on the configuration screen you can rescan for movie details from alternate sources. This is possible via a toolbar button and you can perform this action on multiple movies at once, just select several (or all) in the list. Try clicking the list and pressing CTRL-A, or holding SHIFT or CTRL down while clicking on items. Depending on the data sources you use, this may require the movies to be sent to the importer. This simply means that it will require your input to resolve close matches when pulling data from a new site. Is this the functionality you were asking for?
  2. There is no way to disable warning messages, you are right. Maybe this is something we could change in the future. I think if you start doing updates in bulk this may not be an issue any more though.
  3. If the importer fails to find a proper match you can click the binoculars toolbar button on the importer to manually search. Here you can optionally enter the title, year of release and/or imdb id.
  4. If you have the same movie twice with different spoken languages the only solution I can think of is to manually change the Language field in the movie manager. This is what it is intended for. If you want to filter this in the GUI you can add a new category or filter menu option. If you need help with this ask and I can guide you to the proper place in the config.
  5. We are planning on adding filtering in the Movie Manager in the future.
  6. We are also planning on adding automatic selection of localized titles. This would mean that if you wanted, the Swedish title would always be displayed.
  7. The current watched system is setup to possibly allow for multiple "users" in the future. I don't know if this will ever happen honestly, its something we rarely get asked for. It is on our to do list though, so maybe in the future.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    # For my children I sometimes rip the movie with Swedish text which means that the movie will appear twice with the same data. "Language" is the same for both and I can't select spoken language anywhere, which would be relevant when the children watch film. They would like to filter on spoken language.

To add to fforde's reply above, you could put those Swedish language versions in a folder (or subfolder) that you name 'Swedish' and then you can create a custom category that has a filter that is setup for "Full Path" -> contains -> "Swedish\"

I use the same myself to filter out Asian movies and other collections. Check the wiki and/or FAQ on how to adjust your category filters to make this work.

# A pretty messy thing "that would be nice" is support for differentiated visible tagging. A movie is quite naturally tagged as watched if one of the family members watched it. Just to plant the idea that it could be nice if there could be levels to "watched" - one per person... (Real life scenario: I risk missing newly added movies that the teen watches after I add them but never get around to see before she does).

The recently added category should solve that problem, provided you pay attention to the watched movies as well. You can even tweak the settings as I did myself to make the timeframe shorter, so it is easier to spot them. Aside from that I added a new twist to that on my own system by abuseing the user-rating system. Instead of rating a movie from 1-5 for gradient quality, I use the system to classify it as:

1 = Bad movie
    2 = Movie for just my wife
    3 = Movie for both of us (this is default when rating pops up so easy to tag)
    4 = Movie for just me
    5 = Good movie​

And then you just adjust all your other categories to include this as an extra filter.

The only hurdle was to teach the wife how to use the context menu to rate a movie, so that when she watches a movie that she knows I will like as well to tag it as '3', '4' or '5'. She actually doesn't mind to watch it again, so usually ends up tagging it as '3'.

My actual system is a lot more complex because I also use the user-rating system to compliment the PIN-coded parental filtering (which is based on combination of foldername, filename, genres, and user-rating values) but you get the idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom