community skins? (1 Viewer)

stdly

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I have spent many an hour playing with skins in MP and had a great time doing it, getting every thing just the way I like it.
    I learned quite a bit as well thanks to the community.

But after reading these posts I guess skinning in MP2 will have to be left to the coders. :confused: :(
    I will have to find a new free time hobby I guess.
    Steve

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: community skins?

Skinnnig is a bit more complicated in MP2 but offers much more flexibility. So it is right the other way: Skinning in MP2 makes more fun because you can achieve much more different designs and effects.

Simply take a look! And don't surrender too early.

stdly

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Re: AW: community skins?

Skinnnig is a bit more complicated in MP2 but offers much more flexibility. So it is right the other way: Skinning in MP2 makes more fun because you can achieve much more different designs and effects.

Simply take a look! And don't surrender too early.

Albert,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I was not in any way putting down the direction that MP is taking with MP2 I also hope you did not take any offense to my post.
    I installed MP2 from svn about a year ago and even then I could see the benefits of the future of MP I don't have it installed right now though.

The last coding I did was in basic on my Atari 800XL 20-25 years ago (I still have this computer).

MP's xml was easy as I have a bit of html experience and they are not that different really.

Like I said after reading the skinning contest posts I have a lot to learn to be able to create or even hack a MP2 skin.
    Maybe we will see some kind of MP2 skin editor in the future that will help with the learning curve.
    Steve

Baboonanza

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 5, 2010
    North London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Re: AW: community skins?

I think it will be much easier once we have some good tutorials. It really isn't as difficult as it looks, it's just not obvious how it works without some good explanation.

For instance, because of the way themes & styles work you can change the whole appearance of the GUI very easily. From there you can graduate on to re-arranging elements of particular screens and from there to changing the actual workflow of the app (something you can't do in MP1).

stdly

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Global edits can be good, I guess a bit like css and such in web site creating or common/dialog xml files in MP1.

Is there an ETA on some good tutorials so we can get a jump on this stuff it seems a bit weird having a skinning contest with so little info available must limit the input but you have to start somewhere.

I will install MP2 again and learn a bit more I hope.
    Steve

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You should install Visual Studio 2010(Express) and just play a bit with WPF in the Visual Designer... to see some good result you don't need any code in the project but you are able to get a good view on how to design with WPF.
    If you've done that the step to Media Portals MPF is not that big...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom