Compatibility of Asus EHD3-100 Card with software (1 Viewer)

tedo

Portal Member
August 7, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
So I was wondering if the Asus EHD3-100 tuner card would work with the mediaportal and tv server software?
I have had bad experiences in the past with tuner cards and video capture devices that flat out did not want to work with software that wasn't their own idea; but then again those were always pinnacle - im hoping Asus is a bit more open minded.

Link to the card on Newegg.com
Newegg.com - ASUS My Cinema EHD3-100 Dual Hybrid TV Card EHD3-100/NAQ/FM/AV/MCE RC PCI-Express x1 Interface - TV Tuners & Video Devices

-- If anyone knows of a better card with dual tuners in the same price range, feel free to point it out; (possibly http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815293003 ?)

I'm in the process of building my first HTPC and I might've gotten some of the stuff wrong. Although I read a pretty technical review of this card and it seemed ok for a mid-level htpc.

As I understand it, I should be able to hook up my Satellite receiver to one of the coax, and the digital receiver (broadcast tv) to the other one; and opt to plug in something on the provided A/V from time to time, say the camcorder, in lieu of the 2nd coax?

But basically I'm goin for being able to hookup the satellite to record the international tv we get from there, and the dtv receiver to the other one to grab the local channels.

:D in advance :)

**edit**
While I've got you here, and to avoid spamming up the forums;

Pros and Cons of having two tuner cards with 1 tuner each on PCI as opposed to having a dual tuner on 1 card pci-e x1 - what would you get?

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    So I was wondering if the Asus EHD3-100 tuner card would work with the mediaportal and tv server software?

Tvserver supports "any DVB/ATSC card which has BDA drivers"

Pros and Cons of having two tuner cards with 1 tuner each on PCI as opposed to having a dual tuner on 1 card pci-e x1 - what would you get?

pros: dual tuner in pci-e 1x = only use one slot. Some dual tuners only require 1 aerial input, eliminating the need for a splitter.
    cons: dual tuners are usually more expensive than two singles

tedo

Portal Member
    August 7, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Although I was unable to find anything online that flat out says those cards use DBA drivers; I'm going to assume they do xD and in worst case scenario return them.

-----

In an elaborative effort on the dual pci versus single pci-e; which would give the better performance / video quality
    I'm not sure how the pci-e x1 speeds and bandwidth compare to the pci slots, although I realize they are significantly higher;
    assuming that each tuner on the card has its own encoder, which I am led to believe, there should be no performance issue with for example recording on both at the same time.

If my assumptions are correct, then I will most likely opt for the single pci-e card and bust out my hard hat and screw driver and set to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom