Compiling and building MP (1 Viewer)

rak

Portal Pro
March 5, 2008
Home Country
Czech Republic Czech Republic
I'm beginner here, but have knowledges with C/C++ development. As there are no SVN builds for a very long time, I decided to create it by myself.

First, I was looking in the Manual for description about how to compile MP and it is unfinished and refers to old Microsoft Visual Studio. So I have some questions/requests:

1) I want to use C++/C# Express editions to compile MP. On the forum I found, that a special solution file for the express version should be part of the svn but it's missing there. So where I can download it? Nevertheless, I used the command line batch to compile it - which was successful for both MP and TV server.

2) I found it very difficult to install the new compiled plugin of TV server, as all dlls are placed in one directory. I tried to do it manually, but not sure if I copied all required files - because the TV guide was not working after the update. Is there any batch/tool to create the appropriate directory structure?

3) According to the Roadmap (Issue 0002237), there should be new (updated) plugin, that replaces the DVD shortcut and allows playing any inserted disk. After I have compiled MP and updated it, I still have the old DVD shortcut there. Have I missed anything?

ArnoldGoat

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 27, 2007
    Lyttelton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'd like an answer to this too. I have successfully made some local changes in the past, but when I tried with 1.0.2 (22555), I got the error 2) noted above. (Of course this was with the source downloaded from Sourceforge before making any changes). I have VS 2005, but the .sln files are now V10.0 presumably for VS2008 and don't work, but MSBUILD still worked. I installed 1.0.2 using the installer, which worked fine, then tried overwriting the .dlls and .exes with those just compiled and got the programme guide error. What's going on please?

ArnoldGoat

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 27, 2007
    Lyttelton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Whilst awaiting a reply here, I did this. The PC has client-only on it. I installed client+plugin 1.0.2. Looked in cpl Add/Remove progs. There's MP, and MP Client/Server. I selected the latter. This produced a list of the files it deleted. I assumed this was the 'patch' that the client plugin does to a MP standard install. I then used Robocopy to copy files from the MP compiled area to same-named files in the installed folder. Then overwrote some of these with list obtained earlier. The result is exactly the same! Crash in TVGuide. I put some debug code in, and the problem is in the debug-bracketed bit in TVGuidbase.cs:

if (_viewingTime.Date.Equals(DateTime.Now.Date))
    {
    Log.Info("line 989");
    int iStartX = GetControl((int)Controls.LABEL_TIME1).XPosition;
    int iWidth = GetControl((int)Controls.LABEL_TIME1 + 1).XPosition - iStartX;
    Log.Info("line 992");
    iWidth *= 4;

That's as far as I have got. Not sure where these controls are. LABEL_TIME1 is a constant in this unit.

rak

Portal Pro
    March 5, 2008
    Home Country
    hm, interesting. So the "Build Release.bat" does not build release but debug verison?

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Install NSIS and then use "Build Deploy Release.bat" for both TV-Server and mediaportal. That will create installers just like the weekly builds.

ArnoldGoat

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 27, 2007
    Lyttelton
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    OK did that, but it failed. In build.log it says
    Usage: !if [!] value [(==,!=,<=,<,>,>=,&&,||) value2] [...]
    Error in script "Setup\setup.nsi" on line 113 -- aborting creation process

I saw in a forum (but cannot find again) a reference to a test in the .nsi file that should have quotes round the 0 in
    !if ${VER_BUILD} == 0 # it's an official release

But if this is the way the real developers get and use it, surely it wouldn't have a show-stopper like this in it? And if it isn't, how can us budding developers know we have an accurate representation of (say) V1.0.2 as a basis for our own efforts?

This is not a criticism of the Team who put such huge effort into a product we all admire, of course. It's just that I'd like to add a couple of things of my own, and am frustrated at not being able to.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Maybe I'm a little thick, but where is the compiled installer placed?

rak

Portal Pro
    March 5, 2008
    Home Country
    I faced the same problem. I think you have checkout each directory from SVN separately, as it is described in manual and as I also did it. But the build script requires that the "root" directory is checked out, because there it gets the SVN version from. So just checkout the whole "https://mediaportal.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mediaportal/trunk" into the x:/svnroot/mediaportal/trunk directory.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Right...downloaded the full trunk and ran the Build Deploy Release.bat. Worked fine, no errors. But i still can't find the installer? Is it mentioned anywhere in the documentation where this is placed after compile? I don't get it :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom