Components are downloaded multiple times (1 Viewer)

pbb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 30, 2006
    Trondheim
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,

Didn't see that this was reported before, maybe I am the only one seeing this, or everybody went to do something else during the download process, but...

The deployment tool is downloading several components multiple times!

I've been having a suspicion about this before, but now I kept a close eye on the download folder, and I caught it downloading directx_mar2008_redist.exe two times and vcredist_x86.exe four times!

I am pretty sure I've seen this behavior on several computers (though all configured by me and in the same home network, so it may be related to some config setting).

To make things worse, when now checking the download folder of one of the other computers, I find a directx_mar2008_redist.exe of 162 bytes, with the following contents:

Code:
    <HTML><HEAD><META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0.1">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no cache">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">
    </HEAD></HTML>

Anybody have any idea what might be wrong?

Peter

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi Peter,

M$ doesn't love an auto download for some of its software. We then implemented the 5 times loop to be sure to get them downloaded and this usually works fine.
    Can you please try using the latest DeployTool from SVN ? If you cannot compile I can provide it.

Simone

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Hi Peter,

M$ doesn't love an auto download for some of its software. We then implemented the 5 times loop to be sure to get them downloaded and this usually works fine

How about checking the results of previous "download loop" before starting a new one? :)

pbb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 30, 2006
    Trondheim
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi Peter,

M$ doesn't love an auto download for some of its software. We then implemented the 5 times loop to be sure to get them downloaded and this usually works fine.

I hope there is a check in between to test if the download went ok? At least nothing was downloaded 5 times in my case ;)

Can you please try using the latest DeployTool from SVN ? If you cannot compile I can provide it.

Simone

Sorry, but I have more than enough to do (fixing up the documentation for the 1.0 release...) to begin installing an SVN tool and a compiler to test out the installer. Am I really the only one where this bug comes up?

If anybody can make an SVN build of the installer for me, I will do some more testing with that.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sorry, but I have more than enough to do (fixing up the documentation for the 1.0 release...)

Wow just seen some of the updates today in the wiki, don't get much time to go through it normally but looking really good, nice one pbb and of course the rest of the Doc's team.

:D

Sorry for going off topic guys, but the paperwork deserves credit.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I hope there is a check in between to test if the download went ok? At least nothing was downloaded 5 times in my case ;)

Yes I check the size of the download and if needed launch it again...

Sorry, but I have more than enough to do (fixing up the documentation for the 1.0 release...)

I need to thank you for all your great work, no need to feel sorry ;)

Am I really the only one where this bug comes up?

If anybody can make an SVN build of the installer for me, I will do some more testing with that.

No you are not the only one, this is why a possible fix is already in SVN.
    If you get time please download the new installer from our team internal ftp site.

Simone

pbb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 30, 2006
    Trondheim
    Home Country
    Norway Norway

Wow just seen some of the updates today in the wiki, don't get much time to go through it normally but looking really good, nice one pbb and of course the rest of the Doc's team.

LOL! Well fridays are my "daddy-days" which means I let the little one ravage the house, while I spend the whole day behind the computer :p

Yes I check the size of the download and if needed launch it again...

Ah! Now I understand what happens... However, the check didn't seem to have worked on the 162 byte download ;)

No you are not the only one, this is why a possible fix is already in SVN.
    If you get time please download the new installer from our team internal ftp site.

Simone

Hmmm... Okay I found the FTP server address, but am not allowed in with my forum username and pass, nor can I anonymously. Maybe one of the admins first has to make an account for me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom