ComSkip files left behind (1 Viewer)

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Guys, I have discovered this very nice feature not so long ago and had it running on MP 1.0.2 - by manually installing/configuring it.
    Now, it seems as if it's part of RC2/RC3 or is this because it was found in my program files?

With RC2/RC3 it still works fine but I have 1 issue though: after deleting a recording, the additional comskip files remain on the system and have to be deleted manually - if you don't want it to become a mess.
    Am I missing something or is this just something you have live with when using comskip?

Deleting with a batch file is also not an option because there is no way to distinguish the difference between the files that have to stay and the once that can be deleted. (unless maybe some advanced way that except for every .ts file found and it's matching comskip data, the comskip files can be deleted but that's out of my league)

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    BUMP

Am I the only one with this issue or are we 'all' just going to another pc to delete those files manually?

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    which files are they? By default Comskip will create several files
    (not at HTPC but I think they are:
    log
    logo.log
    edl
    txt
    )

and possibly others. I believe MP only needs the TXT file. I have set the Comskip ini file to not create the others.

I am fairly sure that the TXT file is removed when you delete a recording

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi jameson_uk, yes it's those files;
    - .edl
    - .log
    - .logo.txt
    - .txt

I just started using comskip and I saw that there are possibilities to tune it but didn't get into that yet.
    Strange that those files are not needed and still created...:confused:

geoffstewart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2008
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Peter,

Set the following items in your comskip.ini to leave only the .txt file:

delete_logo_file=1
    output_edl=0
    verbose=0

Comskip is not just for MediaPortal... the .txt is the only thing MP uses, but other tools and programs use other formats.

Cheers.

Geoff

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi Geoff, thank you for this info!
    Since comskip gets more integrated in MP, deleting a recording should also check for comskip files.

usualsuspect

Portal Pro
    May 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: ComSkip files left behind

Deleting with a batch file is also not an option because there is no way to distinguish the difference between the files that have to stay and the once that can be deleted. (unless maybe some advanced way that except for every .ts file found and it's matching comskip data, the comskip files can be deleted but that's out of my league)

I once created a batch the other way around, but this could be helpful for you, too: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/plugins-erweiterungen-178/comskip-atomatisieren-per-batch-73753/

here a quick draft:
    Code:
    @echo off
    rem deletes left over files (in active dir and subdirs) %%I.* (eg from comskip) when the recording %%I.ts is no longer avaiable
    rem
    FOR /R %%I IN (*.*) DO IF NOT EXIST "%%~dI%%~pI%%~nI.ts" (
    	del %%~nI.*
    )
    exit

IMPORTANT: I did not check it till now. therefore be sure to DO NOT run this batch in your actual recordings directory before checking!!!

edit: I just checked the batch and it works fine. BUT be careful: it will delete all files xyz.* that do not have a corresponding xyz.ts file. (even the batch itself, so be sure to have a clean.ts file when your batch is named clean.bat)

To make it a little bit more specific, you may change the batch to something like:
    Code:
    FOR /R %%I IN (*.*) DO IF NOT EXIST "%%~dI%%~pI%%~nI.ts" (
    	del %%~nI.txt
    	del %%~nI.log
    	del %%~nI.xyz
    )

Peter2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi usualsuspect, just noticed that I had never replied to your batch solution... :oops:
    Thanks a lot for it and even knowing some batch programming, it added some knowledge about the 'FOR' command which I had never used.

There is 1 thing though which I cannot solve: running the file manually works fine but when I shedule it, the windows scheduler runs it from the c:\windows\system directory instead of where my recordings are.
    I have tried to modify it by adding the recordings directory but without success.
    Reading about the syntax and switches on the FOR command didn't bring any enlightening either.

Do you have any idea if this can be solved and how?
    Thanks a lot in advance!

Peter

usualsuspect

Portal Pro
    May 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: ComSkip files left behind

hi peter,

you may just navigate to your rec-dir within the batch by adding this
    C: (or D: or X)
    cd\files\recs