Configuration 1.0.2 on Vista/W7 (1 Viewer)

Rrrr

Portal Member
April 23, 2009
I apologize in advance, but I am not very Mediaportal fluent...
I just bought this nvidia 9400gt card and installed W7 (I assume we can use Vista installer).

Everything seems to work fine, but I had expected a lower CPU on h264 MEDIA as I put the nvidia card inside.
Now I found on your site various instructions/pdf of about 1 year ago for codecs etc but they seem not up to date.
I guess that in the meantime things have been put in the installer (?)

Please can you point me to THE (up-to-date) place where I can add the right stuff/codecs/settings to my configuration to get the max out of my graphics card?

thank you

TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: 1.0.1.0
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3
Windows Version: XP SP3
CPU Type: Intel P4 2.4Ghz
HDD: Maxtor 6Y200P0
Memory: 1Gb
Motherboard: Asus P4P800
Video Card: ATI 9200
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 1.2/2.0
Sound Card: Integrated Soundmax 1985WDM_3630
Sound Card AC3: S/PDIF out connector
Sound Card Driver: 1985WDM_3630
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Use either SAF or Vista Codec Pack, either will install the MPC-HC codecs required to use dxva for supported files.

CoreAVC is the only codec that supports Cuda, which then utilises the gpu for all video played.

kenwonders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2007
    Home Country
    England England
    If you are on W7 then you have a slightly different problem. It has built in decoders for XVID/DIVX/H264 and you'd need to disable internal support for them before any external directshow decoder will work.

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    If you are on W7 then you have a slightly different problem. It has built in decoders for XVID/DIVX/H264 and you'd need to disable internal support for them before any external directshow decoder will work.

Is this why I can only play one h264 video with mpc-hc and second time it does not work?

Win7

March 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Stop before you start hacking any codecs in Windows 7 you should know every DirectShow codec will work fine in MediaPortal! I´m using the PowerDVD codecs and they do a great job in MediaPortal. Ok Windows Media Player will never use the PowerDVD codecs but that isn´t a problem, because as mentioned before windows has the needed codecs allready! MediaPortal will use the selected codecs. There is only a problem with the haali media splitter that can crash the thumbs generation in windows explorer. For those who want to know, the microsoft codecs don´t connect to the haali media splitter and haali tries again and again and you get more and more haali icons in the taskbar :D I created a little splitter pack than can nearly do the same job as the haali media splitter. The only problem is you can´t switch the audio channel in multi language video files. For dvd and tv it works fine. So you have to decide if you want the thumbs creation in windows explorer or the possibility to change the audio language in video files. By the way you can use the microsoft codec for mpeg2 in mytv, mydvd and myvideo its hardware accelerated and works great. You can also use the microsoft codec for h264, its also hardware accelerated, in myvideo but you can´t use it in mytv. I tried and failed! If you try to use the microsoft codec for h264 in mytv, mytv will hang at start even if you don´t have hdtv. I think it´s the same problem MediaPortal has with the MPC-HC h264 codec. I had the same problem with the MPC-HC its like MediaPortal is loading the codec but never releasing it. Any Playback of a video that needs the MPC-HC codec will fail after the first playback. That´s why i changed to the PowerDVD Codecs. One suggestion at the end: i would not use the microsoft codec in mytv for mpeg2, because sometimes you can´t delete a recording after watching it.

Good luck

Rrrr

Portal Member
    April 23, 2009
    Thank you. I did not yet get to remove the original codecs in W7.
    I must say, installing MP seems very complex.

Win7: I would be grateful if you could post a screen print of your settings in the codecs, and if there are any non standard codecs, how did you get/install them.

I am asking for a lot, I know, but what you are saying is significant for all of us who are struggling here

Win7

March 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok first the screenshots of the codec configuration i´m using in MediaPortal. Well you may see that i´m using the german windows but it works the same way for the english build.

MyTV:
    attachment.php

MyDVD:
    attachment.php

MyVideo:
    attachment.php

The non standard codecs are the monogramm aac decoder and the cyberlink codec. MediaPortal installs the monogramm decoder for you so you don´t have to take care of that. The bigger problem are the cyberlink codecs, i installed the PowerDVD 8 Trial on a test machine and grabbed the needed files. With that files i build a small codec pack for my own usage. I would ditribute it to you but that would not be legal and therefore i can´t. So the easiest way for you to get that cyberlink codecs is to download and install the PowerDVD 8 Trial. PowerDVD itself will only run 30 days but the codec stays usable for mediaportal! Don´t use the PowerDVD 9 Trial the codec isn´t working in MediaPortal anymore. Here you get the PowerDVD Trial: http://download.cyberlink.com/ftpdload/trial/pdvd/8/CyberLink.1830U_DVD071109-06_R1_Trial_Ultra.exe

Maybe you need a registry fix to enable dxva for the cyberlink codec. So here is that registry fix: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=42511&stc=1&d=1245750637
    Just download it, extract it and double click the regfile.

Ok then you need some splitters, i build a small splitterpack that you will find in this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/codecs-external-players-55/splitterpack-alternative-haali-media-splitter-58405/#post408132 I use that splitterpack but it has some disadvantages. As discribed you can´t switch the audio language in myvideo. The problem is that at the moment there seems to be no solution for that on windows 7. Changing the audio language in mydvd and mytv works without any problems.

Well last but not least you will need a fix for the tvserver. Without that fix you won´t be able to record and watch tv at the same time. Even overlapping recordings on the same transponder may fail without that fix. So you get the dvbfix for the tvserver in this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-dvbfix-mediaportal-now-x86-x64-builds-57137/

Now you should have a nearly perfect media center with mediaportal and windows seven :D

How is your soundsystem connected to the htpc? Because in earlier windows builds i had some problems with analog 5.1 audio connection. If you have some sound problems you may try the mpa audio decoder that comes with MediaPortal.

What remote do you use? If it´s the mce remote there will be some additional steps needed to get that working correct in MediaPortal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom