confusing remote settings in MP TV server and MP? (1 Viewer)

firefalcon

Portal Member
July 24, 2010
Home Country
China China
Hi, all,

I am trying to make MP work with my digital TV STB these days. However, I feel the remote settings are kinds of confusing to me. MP is great - I just want to make it easier for newbies like me.:oops:

The situation: MP client and TV server run on the same machine, with a Hauggauge PVR-150E card which has HW MPEG-2 encoder and the quality is really good. Microsoft MCE Remote, MCE USB IR receiver+transmitter(blaster), my remote for digital STB.

The STB output video signals to my MP machine via S-video; I want the MCE USB IR receiver receive MCE remote's control, while let the blaster send ir commands to STB to change the channel, so that I don't need to bother with a second remoter.

Sounds easy, hum?

I found the configuration of TV server and MP is really kind of confusing.
First, there is 'remote' settings in the MP Configuration. In the left side, there are "Direct Input, USBIRT, SerialUIR, WINLICR,RedEye", while the right window also have multiple tabs as "Microsoft MCE, General HID, .... Hauggauge,IRTrans"
Seems both contain 'driver' for the IR receiver, and the right side include both remote types and dedicated receiver.

This confusing - I guess it would be much better (and clearer) that the settings are seperated into two parts:
One: the IR receiver (or transmitter) that attached to PC. Here only the raw code is received, and forwarded.
Two: The IR command standard (i.e. decoder setting) that only related to what remote (not include the receiver) used. Here we can have MS MCE remote; Hauggauge remote, or any customer remote (can learn the code).

These two are mainly related to the frontend of MP.

Secondly, there is 'plugins' settings in the TV server configuration. Here I need to set the IR Server Suite to blast my STB.
Again, the IR Server Suite I need to select the MCE receiver and blaster - which confuse me: what will happen if the MP and TV server have different IR receiver and blaster settings? and IRSS told me to turn off the MCE in MP configuration - makes me further confused. I am not sure who is control the MCE IR receiver now.

I tried to let IRSS learn the IR code of my STB remote - seems works in IRSS but MP is not able to change STB channel yet.

I did some research and found WinLIRC, HIP can also works with MP/TV server. Later I found they are also very complicated to set and work with MP to achieve my goal.

I have used MythTV on linux before - its remote support seems much simpler to understand and easier to be set. The logic is like following:

lirc: 1) kernel module as the driver for the IR receiver/blaster, only take care the raw IR code;

2) decode program as lircd, which read configuration file that tells it how to translate raw IR code into a standard set of command (just like the key strikes, and program accept these key strikes);

3) to blast external STB, when an change channel is required, call an external command to send a specific remote IR command, which can be found in the decoder's configuration. the decoder translate it to raw IR code, while the kernel driver take care of the rest.

Here in MP there seems quite hard to understand and with IRSS/HIP things got even complicated. Am I too picky or some understanding is wrong here? Your advice or comments are appreciated.

MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0
MediaPortal Skin:
Windows Version:
CPU Type:
HDD:
Memory:
Motherboard:
Video Card: Huaggange PVR-150E
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: