Connect to TV-Server over Internet? (1 Viewer)

Arterio

Portal Member
December 16, 2007
I have a TV-Server and Client setup at my house. I have the MP client setup on my laptop, and on my home network I'm able to watch TV on my laptop from my TV-Server. However, when I go onto any other network, for example my fiance's, I cannot connect to my TV-Server.

I have configured my router with the proper port forwarding, disabled the firewall on my TV-Server, and have set my TV-Server's external IP in my client on my laptop.

Is it possible to connect to my home TV-Server across the internet from a remote location?

If so... what else am I missing that could be preventing me from doing this?

Thanks in advance!

mguebert

Portal Pro
February 9, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
You would also need a dynamic dns service, so that you can access the IP address of your broadband connection. Or probably a better and safer route would be to setup a vpn connection using hamachi for instance.

Arterio

Portal Member
December 16, 2007
So in my tv-client where it says "hostname" i need to put an address like "tv-myadress.com", and not an IP?

Arterio

Portal Member
December 16, 2007
I know what dynmic dns services are, I've used them in the past when running a personal web server from my house.

As for the VPN, my router would require support for that or no? I have a Netgear router, but looking in it's interface, I see no options for VPN.

Perhaps it's not needed, I don't know.

What if I setup my TV-Server on a static IP?

Gixxer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 18, 2007
    Spain
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    i just wrote it cause i had those pages open in my browser at that time. and for me it was something new.

please let us know if you make it work. i would also like to do it.

mguebert

Portal Pro
    February 9, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    If your ISP has the ability to provide a static IP, that would work. You would need to address the public IP of your ISP and then forward the ports from your router. However that is not the safest route. I access my WHS server through a hamachi vpn, it is not the fastest so I am doubtful MP would work.

Arterio

Portal Member
    December 16, 2007
    Well I'm just thinking...

I work for a cable tv / internet company, if I setup my TV-Server at my office on a static IP, I should be able to access it by putting the static IP in the client at my house right?

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Which ports have you forwarded?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom