connecting HTPC with Home Theatre System.....HELP! (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Hi There,

Got my HTPC connected to the TV (see spec on the signature) and just got myself a Philips DVD/ Home Theatre System with 5 speakers and Subwoofer. It has 2 additional connection for TV and AUX (both with Red/ White connectors..).... I got these cable at home but I do not see any white/ red plugs in the back of my pc....

If you guys have any experience ideas, links for me to check out that would be great
Thanks

CoolHammer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2004
    Finland
    Hi Nazimm,

Does your home theatre system support 5.1 input? You should finfd it from manuals o your home theatre. If your PC has output off 5.1 also you get best quality from your dvd:s. If not buy a soundcard that has 5.1 output.

If your home theatre does not support 5.1 input you can connect your pc to aux. Your PC should have a stereo output, usually a small minijacket and marked as headphones out. You have to have a cable that has a minijacket on other end and 2 rca connetion on other end. Plug minijacket to pc and 2 rca:s to home theatre aux other plug to red (left?) and other to white (right?). This will give you a stereo sound from pc.

CoolHammer

A

Anonymous

Thanks CoolHammer!!!!

I have that cable you mention (mini jack and 2 plugs, red/ white).. I just did not know where to plug the damn thing!!! My pc has Soundstorm in the Mobo as well as S/Pdif and all kind of things. Too many options I guess and way too many cables collected over the years..

Will give your solution a go later. I am sure it will work out.

The only thing is the remote control of the received seems to conflict with the TV remote.... That problem will come later.,..

Will report back when I set the whole lot up with the speakers nicely mounted on the walls..

I can't wait to be hones.. feel like a 12 year old kid!!

THAAAANKS

maxtrash

Portal Pro
    November 27, 2004
    Tilburg, Netherlands
    If your philips has 5.1 analog inputs this should be very obvious (6 rca connections on the back). Are you sure it doesn't have a digitial (SPDIF) input. This could either coaxial (also rca connection which is like the red and white connections) or optical (a little square plastic you pull out and leaves room for an optical cable). Now that I read it: does this make sense?

A

Anonymous

Maxtrash,
    It states on the manual that it a Digital In for "Connecting digital audi equipment" ... I am guessing this is the S/Pdif.. I will have to buy this cable and give it a bash!!

Thanks for all your help guys!

A

Anonymous

the card has a S/Pdif connector... RCA like the red/ white cables. Same as in the back of the receiver.. Will get the cable and give that one a bash.,
    ta

A

Anonymous

good one!!!

I think I will try all kind of cable combo later at home.... will go nuts in the end.

A

Anonymous

maxtrash said:
    you can use the red cable on both sides and let the white connector unused. So no real need to buy a new cable then.

Not sure that will work but I've never tried it. If it does work, your sound quality will no doubt be impacted. If you can get an RCA cable to work, I'd only use it for a short time. Coax cables range in price from USD $10 to USD $50 depending on quality and length. I think you'll find the $20 for a coax cable will be well worth the quality in sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom