Connection to TV Server lost after resume from standby (1 Viewer)

nschoot

Portal Pro
July 29, 2007
TV-Server Version: 1.0.0.0 RC2
MediaPortal Version: 1.0.0.0 RC2
MediaPortal Skin: Monochrome
Windows Version: Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 (XP Pro) Service Pack 2
CPU Type: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+ running at ~2050 MHz.
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint HD401LJ 400GB
Memory: 4GB
Motherboard: Asus K8V Deluxe
Video Card: Sapphire ATI Radeon 2600 XT
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 8.7
Sound Card: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: 5.12.1.3663
1. TV Card: FloppyDTV C/CI
1. TV Card Type: DVB-C
1. TV Card Driver: Firmware 2.4.0, Driver:4.8.0.0
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: ATI CC Multiplexer
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA Decoder Filter
h.264 Video Codec: Cyberlink h.294 decoder
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Ziggo
HTPC Case: DIGN
Cooling: Papst
Power Supply: ichbinleise 280Watt
Remote: Logitech Harmony 555
TV: Saumsung LE32R72B
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI -> HDMI cable

I use MP as my "primary way" of watching TV, so I always shut it down by having it go into standby in the middle of watching TV (what I mean is that I don't go to the main screen first). I configured MediaPortal in such a way that it should continue with what it was last doing, which is watching full screen TV. When I resume my PC later on, it seems that sometimes either TV-Server is too slow or Medialportal is too fast, but it shows "Connection lost to server" or something along those lines (Sometimes it also says "Unexpected error"). Only in about 20%-30% of the cases it resumes, it DOES show full screen TV properly. There are some delays configurable, but those all apply to starting up MediaPortal. Also, I have PowerScheduler configured to reinitialize my card anytime I resume from standby.

Attached are the logs that should show me watching TV, letting it go in standby and resumeing about 10 seconds later.

Once I exit MyTV to the main screen and re-enter the MyTV menu (which auto-starts full-screen TV for me) it mostly works again, so it is mostly an annoyance (especially for the less new-technology-minded-ones at home :p)

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    Try a test without the 'reinit service and tuners' in tvserver PS enabled.

If your OS and drivers can handle this then you may get better response.

There are some bugs still with this setting espeacialy with RTSP streamer.

you need to stop/start the service after PS changes to reinit PS.

nschoot

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2007
    I disabled the reinit device setting (just to see whether it had improved with RC2), but when I have that off, my system just freezes/locks up when I resume from standby. I can't even ALT-F4 or Ctrl-Alt-Del the machine back to life. I only can reset it. I tried this a few times, but had to re-enable reinit in PS again.

Anything else I can try? Any logging you're interested in?

gonzo21

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    got the solution!

I watched this thread and hoped for help, cause I was expecting the same issue. Think the main reason is my wifi network connection depending on a usb-wlan-stick, which indeed gets disconnected on standby. On resume it gets reactivated, but mediaportal is faster and doesn't get a connection to the server this early. Think the mediaportal tv client should be less hard and try it some more times before breaking down. If a dev guy reads it => think about it :D

Following solution solved the problem for me (only working for single seat installation):
    - Bind the TV Server on localhost (127.0.0.1) and restart the server => tv server configuration
    - Switch the TV Client to use 127.0.0.1 as TV Server => mediaportal configuration
    - Test tv and go to standby

Now switching to standby and resuming directly to full-screen-tv from that should work.

One issue for me is left, perhaps someone has a solution for that:
    - when configuring mediaportal to resume last active module and having the tv module configured that it shall directly start full-screen tv, my mouse-icon is gone in mediaportal when mediaportal starts up and directly switches to fullscreen tv! Any ideas? oder solutions? :confused:

gonzo21

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    oh no, need to correct my solution ... I configured mediaportal to restart on resume (in generel mediaportal config) ... without this restart, the error is still there. So the restart on resume is my workaround for this.

I think, the reinitialization of the card needs to be done .. perhaps we should try to get a bugfix for this from the dev guys?

for information. I use a DVB-S-Card (Hauppauge Nova-S2). Any special logs I need to collect to check this bug report? I mean in addition to those that nschoot already provided?

nschoot

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2007
    You may be on to something... I have a wifi card in use too... but I think I already use 127.0.0.1...

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    If it is a wlan issue, then MPStandbyHandler can prove this, as one of its functions is for delaying start while wlan initiates.

Also might be worthwhile trying the LAN fix, found in signature link xp\vista known issues.

Regards

nschoot

Portal Pro
    July 29, 2007
    I checked my setup... It's using the LAN IP address and not 127.0.0.1....
    To "fix" this problem... I installed the Microsoft Loopback adapter and added an extra ip address (10.0.0.1) and made MP use that. This resolved the "Connection to TV Service lost" problem.

I still get the "Unknown error occurred" problem and the "No audio/video detected" problem. (Latest weekly test build (last weekend))

Need some more logs?

gonzo21

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    aight! the loopback adapter resolvs the issue concerning the connection problem. crazy, that 127.0.0.1 does not result to the same thing .. but ok. this workaround is ok for me. thx for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom