Content of news items on team-mediaportal.com (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brainbone

Portal Member
August 14, 2006
As a relatively new media portal user, I can say that this "Default Skin 'News'" posted by DMAN appears distasteful. I would recommend that this "news" be removed, or revised. It's blight on MP, and the MP community. It detracts from the project, and I certainly don't care to read any of it.

What I expect to see in the "news" is meaningful developments and milestones, such as a nifty new plug-in or the release of v0.3 -- not developer drama.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What I expect to see in the "news" is meaningful developments and milestones, such as a nifty new plug-in or the release of v0.3 -- not developer drama.
    What to hell do you want? :mad:

The 0.2.0.0 release is the most stable release ever. It was released in the early days of july, so it's not yet 2 months old. It took more than a year (since 0.1.3.0) to release this final and you want to read news about 0.3 release? Well than you should search the complete news and forums. Frodo wrote many information down about his fantastic new tv engine or you have to search the forum! (new music-tag reader, audioscrobbler, xaml-skinning engine, new forum,...) and so on.

The developers do a great job and they tried to involve the community in the development. There were a poll (which is a story for it's own) and now the developer decide to go another (way) than it was planned and voted by the community so it is important that they tell us some reasons and then it is okay. It nice to read news, so all are up to date to the development state.

It is their project, they do the job to get this software running better, in their FREE time. :D

chefkoch

brainbone

Portal Member
    August 14, 2006
    What to hell do you want? :mad:

I think you've misunderstood my position.

Please let me clarify:

First, by saying "a nifty new plug-in or the release of v0.3", etc., I'm simply creating context for what I would expect to see in news, and how the latest news fell out of that context. I am in no way demanding news of 0.3 - again, it was for context.

As a media portal user, reading about what I classify as "developer drama" in the "news" distracts from the MP experience. While I understand some may like to hear about the conclusion of such drama -- I, and I expect others, don't. Those that were wrapped up in said drama probably read these forms, and thus the forms are likely the better place to post the conclusion. -- Just my opinion.

What I'm presenting is simply a critique, in the hopes that it may help MP in the future.

I have no intention of igniting a flame war, or igniting a debate over the already resolved "developer drama". I simply felt, strongly enough, that this type of news, and the way it was presented, is distasteful. It distracted me from my enough from my normal checking of MP news that I felt I should voice my dislike of it.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    We had 2 options to handle this issue.

1. do not tell anything to the public
      expected result: rumor, flaming ect.
    2. tell the community what realy happened (without the dirty details)
    The Team decided that the community deserves to know the truth.

So we chosen option 2.

I close this thread because this case has to come to an end.

:D for your understanding

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom