“continue next part?” - Request (1 Viewer)

Drudixx

Portal Member
June 12, 2005
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Guy’s,

I have to say that “moving pictures” are a great plug-in. However, I have one request I would like to make.

Is it possible to add a function in the advanced setting that you can disable the “continue next part?” question that comes up when you have multiple files associated with one entry (see attached file)? I.e. if you have season 1 of “two and half men” which consist of 4 disc’s, you have stored them as disc1.iso, disc2.iso, disk3.iso etc. under a entry called “two and half men”.

The reason I ask is twofold:
1. If you use .iso’s this doesn’t really work anyway (at least that how it is for me) and I have to answer no each time. This reduces the WAG approval rating, so being able to disable this question would really help.
2. When I select the disk in the series I want, MP for some reason seems to lose focus and my remote cannot select “yes” or “no” and I have to connect a mouse to be able to do this. This unfortunately further reduce the WAG rating.

Other than that the plug-in is brilliant and I am looking forward to version 0.8.

Thanks
Thor

Attachments

• request.jpg
    request.jpg
    33.3 KB

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Well here is the problem. When an external player stops playback, MediaPortal has no way of knowing if the video just ended and the player automatically closed, or if you pressed the stop button, closing the video before it was over. Normally this is not a big deal because either way if a video stops you are done watching the video. If you have a multi-part movie though this becomes a problem. We could (pretty easily) implement an option to disable this popup, but that would mean that when you press stop during playback of part one, part two would start playing automatically, even though that was not desired. The only way to get seamless multi-part playback behavior is unfortunately to use the internal player in MediaPortal.

So eliminating the popup would solve one problem while creating a new one. That being said are you still interested in a setting to eliminate the pop-up? Any additional thoughts?

Drudixx

Portal Member
June 12, 2005
Home Country
fforde, thanks for the quick answer,

Well, I would still love not to have to answer “No” each time, for both reasons I mentioned. However, I do not want the next part to start automatically either.

Would it be possible to be able to have a setting where you could have the following options “yes”, ”no” and “prompt” , the two first ones causes the pop up not to appear as it will use the your “selected” value, and if you wanted to be prompted each time you chose “prompt”?

Bear in mind I am no programmer, so I do not know if this would solve the problem or be easy to implement.

Thanks
Thor

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
That would be possible, but choosing "No" would effectively break multi-part playback if you are using an external player. Is this what you are trying to accomplish? It just seems like with normal usage scenarios this option would never be desirable.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
Actually after talking about it with ZealotSix in IRC, he pointed out that mutli-part playback doesnt even really make sense for disk images. In fact if using the internal player, a second disk is never played after the first finishes because it is assumed the second disk is some sort of bonus content.

So I think this behavior with an external player is probably a bug. If you are playing an ISO externally it should never prompt when exiting the player and it should never play disk 2. Does this sound more in line with your expectations?

Drudixx

Portal Member
June 12, 2005
Home Country
I guess, atleast to some extent. Let me try to explain:

For me the "multi-part" playback is not really something I would use (Btw, the problem is with the internal player i.e. I don't play the image/movie in an external player outside MP so I don't know how that works). The reason I "bunch" my movies together is that I like to watch TV series on DVD's and they tend to come on multiple disc and over several seasons. I could just have one entry per DVD and call it "Two and half men - season 1 - disc 1" etc. but when you have allot of them it just looks messy and for TV series like Scrubs etc who have gone on for some season they can occupy "pages" and "pages" when you scroll through them. So just having one entry for each season instead of 3 - 4 makes it look cleaner and easier to navigate. Does that explain what I trying to achive?

In short:
Yes I guess I am trying to "effectively" break multi-part playback.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
Hrmm, I did not think that popup ever appeared for internal playback. What version are you running?

Drudixx

Portal Member
June 12, 2005
Home Country
I'm running:

MP Version 1.0.2.0
Moving picture version 0.7.3.623

Just in case this matters:

DVD video decoder: MPC (the one that comes with MP)
DVD Audio decoder: MPC - MPA

Thanks
Thor

Drudixx

Portal Member
June 12, 2005
Home Country
I have done some testing and I have found that when you first install moving pictures you do not get asked if you want to “continue next part”. However, if you go to the “advanced tab” and under the “bluray/hd-dvd Playback” enable “use external player” and set up everything so you can watch HD movies in an external player, and then go back and disable this you will be asked if you want to “continue next part” if selecting a entry that have multiple .iso’s attached to it (i.e. the use external player is now set to “disable”). So I guess that is why I get asked if I want to “continue next part” when I select entry that has multiple dvd iso’s associated with it.

If it’s not a big problem to implement I would love to see that you could have an option under the advanced tab, where you could automatically answer “No” as suggested in earlier posts.

As I have used an external player in the past and as I have some HD images I would love to use moving pictures to select from MP.

Thanks
Thor

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom