Control Media Portal using a Laser Pointer (1 Viewer)

boozelclark

Portal Pro
March 26, 2007
Johannesburg/Cape Town
Home Country
South Africa South Africa
For any one looking for a new way to control your media player. LaserControl is avalible in Downloads>System Utilites

Laser Control is a java program that using a webcam detects when a laser pointer is in a specified hotspot and then does the equivalent of pressing a specified keyboard key. thus controlling Media Portal through it's hot keys. the hotspots can be set by the user as well as the actions taken. Make your wall into a remote controll.

vladyman

Portal Member
November 14, 2006
This is very cool. However it doesn't work for me for some reason. The configuration worked, I can start LaserControl.jar but nothing happens if the laser arrives in the designated area. I started the file, activated mediaportal and moved my laserpointer around the area, but nothing happened. (The webcam IS recognized correctly and the image shows as it should)

Also, this is useful, but laser gestures would be even more useful, as you don't have to hit a specific area but just "draw" whatever you want. Is there a way to alter/extend the plugin?

Thanks for the work!

boozelclark

Portal Pro
March 26, 2007
Johannesburg/Cape Town
Home Country
hi.

Sometimes the brightness threshold gets set too high initially so the laser pointer cant be recognised. try running it in the dark and lowering the add to sample setting. i'm trying to fix this problem in my new version so if that is the problem let me know and i'll send it to you.

If you looking for a gesture program theres one here
http://ashishrd.blogspot.com/2006/12/gesture-recognition-using-webcam-and.html
but you may have to edit it a bit to get it to work with media portal.
thanks, hope this helps.

Grayda

Portal Member
September 11, 2006
Near Melbourne, Australia
Home Country
Awesome idea, however I can't get this to work. I've installed the JRE and the JMF, found my webcam etc, but I can't find video.properties, nor does any of the JAR files, except for settings.jar, work. They partially execute, but terminate before I get any sort of GUIs up..

Any suggestions?

boozelclark

Portal Pro
March 26, 2007
Johannesburg/Cape Town
Home Country
I'm not entirely sure what the problem is but try copying the video.properties file from the source folder into the release folder and then see if they run. else it may be a problem with the media framework (JMF) cuz. the one .jar file that runs doesn’t use the JMF but it also doesn’t use video.properties so it may be that. let me know if this doesn't help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom