convert .ts to .avi freeware??? (2 Viewers)

EskyK

Portal Member
June 8, 2010
Hi everyone,

I've searched the forums to no avail, but I'd be amazed if this hasn't been asked previously. Please direct me to the relevant page(s) if you can.

I'm trying to find a truly simple Freeware video converter that will transfer my .ts files recorded in MediaPortal into Xvid .avi format under Windows 7.

Apps I've tried so far and failed:

AVS Video Converter: Error "External Exception EEFFACE" and "File format error"
Any Video Converter: Only loads file to 1hr 10min or so. Will not load/convert beyond that point
AVI.NET: Runs so slowly - it tells me it will take over 100 hours to convert 2hours of video
ProjectX: I'd like to convert directly from .ts to .avi... Did I mention "simple"? :D

I'll be grateful for any assistance you can give me.

dakota_ii

Portal Pro
January 2, 2006
Did you try MCE Buddy ? It should convert to different formats. (*.avi is just an container, a lot can be inside DivX, etc.)

MCE Buddy is working fine for me.

EskyK

Portal Member
June 8, 2010
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I'll definitely have a look at those.

Much appreciated!!! :D

EskyK

Portal Member
June 8, 2010
Hey everyone, thanks again for those great suggestions. I hope you don't mind, but I thought I'd provide some feedback on the different applications (and ask for a bit of help with one of them :oops:)...

dakota_ii
I really like MCE Buddy. Great for converting all my .ts files to Xvid without any editing. Nice simple interface and completes the jobs really fast. It'll definitely be my choice if I can't get Format Factory working properly for me.

ludis
I love Format Factory - this is exactly what I was looking for... tho I have had an issue with it.

First the positive comments...
The interface is perfect - simple and efficient with easy options for making my own configuration adjustments; just right for me ;)
The speed is mind-boggling :eek:! I have never seen anything convert video so fast. Fantastic.

And the issue...
I can't seem to get the videos to maintain their original aspect ratio. The resulting files all squash the original 16:9 video into 4:3 with letterboxing on both sides. I've played with the settings and googled the problem with no success. I keep getting the same result. Have you experienced this issue and have any suggestions?

tom78
I've used SUPER on my old XP computer and I had meant to look at it again, so I was really glad you suggested it. I downloaded it from the link you gave me, but unfortunately AVG tells me it contains a Trojan. I understand that it may be somehow "safe", but until it can install cleanly I'm not going to install it on my computer. I'll try it again in the future and see if they've corrected this problem.

disaster123
Thanks for the suggestion, but as far as I can tell Handbrake only converts to Apple/mp4 or mkv. My desired output format is Xvid .avi, and it doesn't appear to do avi. Or maybe I've missed something?

Thanks again all. I'm very grateful!

ludis

Portal Member
October 9, 2008
Geneva
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
Hi,

indeed, the aspect has often been a problem in the past with many software.
..... see screenshot if the setting is effective ratio?
Otherwise, I encode into. MKV and no problem for me, then it would come from the encoder?
good luck.

Ludis

Attachments

• Image 1.png
    Image 1.png
    124.9 KB

EskyK

Portal Member
June 8, 2010
Hi ludis,

Thanks for the advice and screenshot... I tried the default settings first with the described result.

I know what you mean about aspect ratio... playing around with this has reminded me that I've had these types of problems in the past. I don't know what it is about these files and aspect ratios, but while Format Factory tells me it's 720x576 (aspect ratio of 1.25:1), measuring the actual dimensions on screen is more like 720x405 (the aspect ratio I expected of 1.77:1, i.e. 16:9).

Anyhoo, in the Video Size setting in Format Factory I put 720x405 and it came out perfect.

Thanks for your help and for recommending this program to me. I absolutely love it :D.

Regards
Esky

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom