Coordinating skin files (4x3) (1 Viewer)

marvenius

Portal Pro
September 3, 2008
Belgium
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Just thought I start a topic to coordinate the creation of 4x3 files. There is a great overlap in presentation.

For now we have in no particular order:
Moesfeld: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/307639-post1.html
Tamago_quin: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/305902-post1.html
Marvenius (Me): Moving Pictures Public Beta 0.5.5b - Page 8 - MediaPortal Forum

Just to make sure we don't do anything in tripplets, I would like to coordinate the creation of...
I know 2BitSculptor has also been working on a 4x3 skin, but with a 800x600 resolution.

Fforde, any chance you could add us to google code to put the skin files in svn?

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Sure PM me your email tied to your Google account and I will add you. Will probably not be until tonight though.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
Just to be clear I think I am only interested in hosting a 4x3 skin that would serve as as second Default Skin to be distributed along side the current 16x9 Default Skin. I don't think at this point we want to create a general skin repository for all Moving Pictures skins. The Moving Pictures skin distributed with Aeon for example should be stored in the same repository as all of the rest of the Aeon skin files, not in the Moving Pictures repository.

So that being said, for a default skin I think the following requirements need to be met:

• The skin must look the same regardless of which full skin is being used. This means that you can not rely on standard artwork in the skin folder.
  • The skin must not overwrite any files aside from files specifically meant for use with Moving Pictures. This means that all artwork should probably be placed in a sub folder like with the 16x9 skin.
  • The XML files should be written in a clear and concise way, with comments. I want these skin files to be something other skin designers can base their work off of. So just remember you are writing these XMLs for two audiences, MediaPortal itself, and those reading your code trying to figure out how to get their skin working.
  • Stylistically the skin should feel similar to the 16x9 skin. Creativity is of course good, feel free to go nuts, just try to make sure that side by side screenshots of the 16x9 and 4x3 skins don't totally clash.

I have justed added marvenius for now. Any other skin designers interested in contributing, PM either me or marvenius. I would also recommend anyone participating to join the Developer's Discussion Group and the IRC channel for the project.

Marveneus, if you have any questions about or have any trouble with SVN and Google Code's particular implementation of it, contact me in IRC.

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
June 7, 2007
Texas
Home Country
And by the way guys, thanks a ton for putting the time and effort into working on this sort of stuff. I am really amazed how much the community has helped out thus far between skin development, bug reports, testing, and development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom