Core I3 graphics or Athlon II + HD5450 for MP? (1 Viewer)

Nielsen

Portal Pro
December 6, 2004
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
Hi

In a other tread I have indicated that would like to upgrade my HTPC with a MB with the 890G chipset (Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H), and only use the onboard graphics (HD4290). But I have now got seconds thoughts about the configuration. Therefore I have 2 other setups I would like to have some input about.

Option 1:
CPU: core i3-530
MB: could be Asus P7H55-M or a MB with a H57 chipset.
Graphics: Non, use the onboard/inside core i3
RAM: 4GB

Option 2:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2-555 or Athlon II X3-445
MB: Asus M4A87TD
Graphics: HD5450 or HD5570
RAM: 2GB

I think option 1 will have less power consumption (which I think is a good property for a HTPC), but also less graphics performance than option 2?.
The price for the 2 options is about the same in denmark.

In my setup I plan to use 1 TV (VGA) and a monitor (DVI) either in clone mode, so the 2 screens show the same pictures, but different resolution. Or use the TV for MP and the monitor for desktop use.
Will this require the HD5450/5570 graphics solution?

I am very confused about the graphics. Some threads in this forum states that, the graphics of the i3 is enough and other threads stats that MP always require a separate graphics card!

I am very interested in a low power consumption / low heat solution, but on the other hand it is important for me to have a system that is powerful enough to play HD/blue-ray and Media portal perfect.

So, what option will give me the best user value for the above mentioned use?

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    I'm going through the same process and questions at the moment too.

I can't provide any input on the dual displays questions, but can offer the following.

Definitely I think the onboard graphics with the 890G would be a problem, particularly if you are looking at doing True HD / DTS HD (ie Blue Ray audio) over HDMI. It is not supported on any HD 4xxx, and is probably the main reason why you want to go HD 5xxx or Intel iGPU.

I found a good article on the HD 5450 vs 5570 for HTPC. 1080i deinterlacing is the benchmark I usually uses as far as performance is concerned (mainly because all my home movies from my sony camcorder are 1080i), and it looks like the 5450 would be found a little wanting if you needed both 1080i vector adaptive deinterlacing and any other post processing. So the 5570 is definitely the way to go for option 2.

The Final Word on the Best Radeon HTPC Card - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

As far as power consumption is concerned, you are correct and I would think Option 1 is the better way to go (and it is the way I am leaning at the moment too). Attached image from the AVS forum. It doesn't quite match your AMD spec, but I think it would be close.

BUT, I haven't been able to find anything yet on 1080i performance on the Core i3. Everything on the AVS forum says that it should be ok, but they don't specifically mention 1080i performance, and mainly talk about 1080p. I am very cautious with Intel iGPU's. Been burnt before with one of their GMA iGPU's. Really want to find something that says 1080i is good on this iGPU.

UPDATE:

OK, a few posts that indicate the Core i3 might be problematic:

First, performance issue with Live TV:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/general-62/guide-how-build-silent-htpc-78218/index2.html

Second, no true 23.976 frame rate.

The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Think I'm sticking with the 5570 based on this.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I would stay away of the embedded Intel graphics, but the Core i3 is an exellent processor on its own :)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Re: AW: Core I3 graphics or Athlon II + HD5450 for MP?

@pilehave
    why? What do you think about sandy bridge?

Intel should have fixed the 23.976 problem already, they were well aware of the existence of it, they just ignored it.

I also doubt that Sandy Bridge will do Vector Adaptive Deinterlacing without a dedicated graphics card, but I have not seen any test where this have been tried. It would be a failing point for me, as 90% of my TV-time is on PAL TV, which just looks excellent with VA.

I would also like to see test of 1080i handling on Sandy Bridge.

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: Core I3 graphics or Athlon II + HD5450 for MP?

Intel should have fixed the 23.976 problem already, they were well aware of the existence of it, they just ignored it.

I also doubt that Sandy Bridge will do Vector Adaptive Deinterlacing without a dedicated graphics card, but I have not seen any test where this have been tried. It would be a failing point for me, as 90% of my TV-time is on PAL TV, which just looks excellent with VA.

I would also like to see test of 1080i handling on Sandy Bridge.
    23.976 problem => OK but there is the MP Audio Renderer :) I mean ATI is aware of the 720p bug (artefacts) since mid of 2009 and hasn't fixed it yet.

Adaptive Deinterlacing => i thought intel can do it? Is that not correct? How is it called by intel?

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: Re: AW: Core I3 graphics or Athlon II + HD5450 for MP?

23.976 problem => OK but there is the MP Audio Renderer :) I mean ATI is aware of the 720p bug (artefacts) since mid of 2009 and hasn't fixed it yet.

Native playback speed is always better than a faked one :p Of course you still need the MP audio renderer (or Reclock) to make the minor reference clock corrections on 99% of the PC HW.

globaldonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Found this on the missing remote guide: Guide A Basic Overview of GPU HD Video Processing | Missing Remote

Advanced Deinterlacing Product Names:

* ATI has two modes of advanced deinterlacing: the highest quality is 'Vector Adaptive' followed by 'Motion Adaptive'. Vector Adaptive (VA) is the level needed for proper adaptive deinterlacing of all types of 1080i content.
    * NVIDIA's advanced deinterlacing is referred to as 'Spatial-Temporal Deinterlacing' in various PureVideo documentation.
    * Intel's advanced motion-adaptive deinterlacing is folded into their 'Clear Video' moniker.

It looks like pilehave was on the money, and these Intel iGPU's only do motion adaptive?

EDIT: Found some more Intel doco that says Clear Video uses advanced pixel adaptive de-interlacing. Not sure how that stacks up with ATI's VA.

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Core I3 graphics or Athlon II + HD5450 for MP?

So we've to wait for the new sandy bridge CPUs and a first few tests to see if they can handle more :)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Re: AW: Core I3 graphics or Athlon II + HD5450 for MP?

So we've to wait for the new sandy bridge CPUs and a first few tests to see if they can handle more :)

Would be nice with some tests. The Core i3 and i5 are a real bang for the buck, you get both low idle and high performance when needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom