Codecs Correct LAV Setup / Conversion DTS->AC3 possible ?? (1 Viewer)

DomenicB

December 28, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello together,

I've got a Mediaportal HTPC system running using my old Yamaha RX-V396 AV Receiver (5.1 speakers) which is connected via optical SPDIF (edit: receiver supports only dolby digital/AC3). Everything is working great exept the "surround issue" - I hope you can help me understanding und finding a solution for my problem:

I understood when my receiver idicates <digital> in the display, it gets AC3 audio (=dolby digital) from the HTPC -> everything is fine, I've got real 5.1 sorround sound.
Unfortunately most of the video material (i.e. BluRays, MKV movies, digital TV) provides "only" DTS or DTS HD Audio. When playing this material, the Receiver indicates <pro logic>. This means, the audio stream from HTPC is only PCM stereo which is being mixed up again in the receiver to 5.1 cannel sound. This is the case for example for my Avatar BluRay (German sound track is encoded in DTS).
-> Is my understanding right up to now?

I am wondering if it is possible to setup the system to generally "translate" the DTS (HD) (...and all others ) to AC3 sound in order to have real surround and not only the mixed-up pro logic.

Here my system and current settings:

• Win7 64 / i5 CPU / Realtec Audio via SPDIF / Mainboard Gigabyte H55M-UD2H
    -> General HTPC use such as BluRay / DVD, DVB-C (Germany), "all" format video playback.
  • Mediaportal 1.2.1
  • SAF 6.0 installed (unlocked)

Currently I've set all audio decoders in MP to LAV Audio Decoder (v0.37). In LAV Configuration only AC3 is selected for bitstreaming. Should I probably use a different audio decoder?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Domenic

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    If you want to bitstream DTS you obviously have to select it for bitstreaming in the LAV Audio Configuration ;)

DTS won't be translated to AC3, but since your receiver does support DTS it will play it as real 5.1 DTS.

BTW: DTS HD Master Audio can't be bitstreamed through S/PDIF, it needs HDMI (and a receiver that can deal with it, which yours can't). So, use DTS or AC3, both are 5.1 digital.

DomenicB

December 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Correct LAV Setup / Conversion DTS->AC3 possible ??

DTS won't be translated to AC3, but since your receiver does support DTS it will play it as real 5.1 DTS.

Sorry, the problem was not clearly defined in the thead (I'll correct that). The point is, that my old Yamaha RX-V396 receiver does only support AC3.. No DTS or other higher formats.

The idea is, to downsaple or convert the signals to AC3 in order to have a understandable format for the receiver...

Regards,
    Domenic

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    OK, now I see. It only supports DTS on the analog 5.1 inputs. That's to bad :(

In that case I would use either "FFDShow" or "AC3 Filter" that can read DTS and output it as AC3. I don't think LAV can do that.

DomenicB

December 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Correct LAV Setup / Conversion DTS->AC3 possible ??

Great! Thank you for that hint.

I just set up FDDShow and now it is working perfectly. There is such a massive difference compared prologic. Is there any setting I need to take special care for?
    Generally: Is there a remarkable audio difference between LAV and FDDshow?

Of course, buying a new DTS HD receiver would be a difference as well, but I think it wouldn't worth the money...

mirickler

June 30, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Faasoft's great "Audio Converter" is probably one of the best commercial choices though to convert DTS to AC3. I've been using it for a few years now.

beaminghappy

June 12, 2015
    Home Country
    Bahrain Bahrain
    I use iDealshare VideoGo which can easily convert DTS to nearly all kinds of popular audio formats like DTS to AC3, DTS to MP3, DTS to WAV, DTS to AAC, FLAC, AIFF, AU, MP2, RA, M4A, Apple LossLess, etc with zero quality loss.

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You can actually do this with MediaPortal Audio Renderer. In LAV, do not bitstream anything. In MPAR, set it to force AC3 encoding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom