Couple of things about playing a ripped movie (1 Viewer)

MovieDweeb

Portal Member
July 9, 2007
Howdy,

New B. here... First of all, let me say congrats on a FINE product. I am using MP among other things to play ripped backups of DVD's for my 2 kids. I have gotten things going fairly well by looking thru the forums but I have noticed a couple of things and I'm wondering if it's me or MP. Probably the former.

1. When I play a Video_TS folder, if I try to use F7 to skip the previews, THX promo etc. sometimes I just get caught in a repeat cycle. Seems to go away once I get into the first scene. Is this just because they don't want you skipping this stuff on the original DVD?

2. Occasionally when I try to skip chapters, I still get sound but the screen blanks and I have to stop and restart the movie to get video back.

3. I can't play a movie folder by using the Play function (P on the keyboard, mapped thru my USB UIRT). If I use Enter though it works fine. Just a bit confusing. The play button works fine for play/pause/play etc. once the movie's started

FYI my setup is a fairly standard EMachine, 512MB, movies on a Linux NAS box across a wired network, remote as mentioned previously thru a USB-UIRT and Girder, and video out to a regular old Magnavox CRT television via a FX-5200 card. I also run BTV and that has been working well, actually BTV-Link on this machine, the server's in my bedroom.

Any help to a noob in need is much appreciated

Rob

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Hi MovieDweeb,
    1. When I play a Video_TS folder, if I try to use F7 to skip the previews, THX promo etc. sometimes I just get caught in a repeat cycle. Seems to go away once I get into the first scene. Is this just because they don't want you skipping this stuff on the original DVD?
    That's right. Some DVD commands are blocked by what they call "Prohibited User Actions" to force you to watch promos, FBI Threats, etc..
    You can use software to get past it easily though. I use "DVD Region+CSS Free". You can get a 'lite' version here: "www.majorgeeks.com/download2144.html".
    It runs automatically for any software that you configure it for, ie. Mediaportal. It 'translates' the DVD into a better version, changing the region, stripping CSS, load the movie (not the menu) first, etc. all on the fly. It's great!
    Also, using this software and Nero, you can additionally rip your DVDs to a version that doesn't have the promos, etc in it anymore. I do this for the kids movies so when I press play, the DVD just plays, no more ads, ads, threats, ads, and then 'wait for menu', then choose, 'play'. Saves time and pacifies the kids quicker, hehehe.

I can't really answer your other questions though, sorry.

madmikeee

Portal Member
    July 18, 2007
    Fellow n00b here. I have been messing around with about 5 other products and so far MP is the ONLY one that I will be staying with. There is no need to code anything, it's VERY user friendly and seems to just be a straightforward program and that is EXACTLY what I was looking for, and considering it is FREE you cannot fathom how happy I am.

A couple questions here as well.

I would like the movies I rip (Legally from my own personally owned collection I might add) to start right at the menu. I currently use DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter to do the task of ripping then down but I cannot bypass the things as stated above.

Can I use either of these programs to eliminate the stupid trailers and "Warning we will kill you and all you love if you copy this disc without permission" crap.
    I would rather not actually delete these items but just find a way to bypass them. I am going to look into the software stated above as well so this question might be a moot one.

My second question involves movie playback. I was wondering which external DVD/Movie players MP supports for use and which ones you experienced users would suggest. Free would be outstanding BTW ;)

:D

whatisk

Portal Pro
    May 21, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I would like the movies I rip (Legally from my own personally owned collection I might add) to start right at the menu. I currently use DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter to do the task of ripping then down but I cannot bypass the things as stated above.

Can I use either of these programs to eliminate the stupid trailers and "Warning we will kill you and all you love if you copy this disc without permission" crap.
    I would rather not actually delete these items but just find a way to bypass them. I am going to look into the software stated above as well so this question might be a moot one.
    In the settings of DVD Decrypter I tick all the boxes concerning 'remove protection' and 'remove puos' for File, ISO and IFO modes. Then I have no problems pressing the next chapter/menu button to skip the warning, etc.

My second question involves movie playback. I was wondering which external DVD/Movie players MP supports for use and which ones you experienced users would suggest.
    I think MP supports any external movie player. In the settings for MP you just say you want to use an external player and point to where it's located and any command line arguments it needs. I have used Zoom Player in the past, but went back to MPs built in player so that I would get info displayed on my VFD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom