cpu and graphic card (1 Viewer)

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Hi there,

I'm just planning to buy some new parts for my htpc to make it future-ready, i.e. ready for DVB-S2 and H.264.

ATM I have an Athlon XP 1800+ with a NVidia 6200 AGP. This should not be sufficient therefore I suppose...

I'm planning to buy a Pentium D 805 (2x 2,6GHz - easily overclockable to 3.2 GHz and with some more cooling even to 4,1 GHz - see www.tomshardware.de - unfortunately german...) and a GForce 6600 PCI-E.
    NVidia says you need a 7600GT to get all out of PureVideo regarding HD decoding.

Would this configuration be ready for future HD videos / tv?
    Is it worth to spend that much more money for a passively cooled 7600GT instead of a 6600?

Thanks,

/Michael

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MJGraf

Not worth the extra bucks, as long as you get one of the highend 6600 preferably with passive cooling like mine, they are more than capable of hdtv, and playing most games.
    The money you save would be worth putting to a athlon X2 processor, cooler running and quieter, much more htpc friendly.

8)

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Thanks for your suggestion!

It won't be a 6600GT, just a passively cooled 6600 (MSI VGA NX6600-TD256EH/PCI-E 256MB). Would that be enough? NVidia say it gives me everything except "bad edit correction" and "inverse telecine" for HD content. But a 6600GT doesn't give me more, either (from what they say on their web pages). Only a 7600GT or better would give these two options. So is there any need for a 6600GT?

As to the processor: I was one of those who only used AMD processors - I loved them and Cool'n quiet is a great thing for a htpc. But I get the Pentium-D 805 for about 130€. The ceapest X2 ist about 289€ which is way too expensive in my eyes... Thinking of pending the difference in a really quiet CPU-fan...

Thank again,

/Michael

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MJGraf

Its your call personally think what you have suggested will work fine in a well ventilated case, and i know the 805 is virtually being given away, just get a decent motherboard to go with them and all should be fine.

Best of luck wit your build, and post when finished.
    Always a sucker for a success story. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom