CPU and/or GPU upgrade for HD (1 Viewer)

finwen

Portal Member
December 5, 2005
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi.

Yesterday i upgraded my TV card and got a nice Floppy DVB-S2. I works fine but as i suspected i got some problems with my current htpc.

I can see the HD channels fine for about 10 seconds but after that it lags out take a break and thenn goes fine for a 10 seconds again. CPU usage is 100%

CPU: Athlon 64 3500+ (Socket 939)
GPU: Nvidia 6600

I Suspect i need a hardware upgrade to get it running smooth.
The big question is what to upgrade :)

Maybe as new GPU will be enough? HD 4550 might help or do i need to upgrade ta a dual CPU also (and new motherboard/memory)

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
i would be upgrading that processor if i were you, its probably lacking a bit of grunt.

also, how much memory are you running and are you running onboard graphics?

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
running a seperate graphics card might help a bit by not using up any of your onboard memory, but you might get away with just a processor upgrade, tho you may need a change of mobo as well for a more modern processor socket.

ichessblumen

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'd prefer to upgrade for a better GPU like a HD 3650. that should do better than upgrading to a Socket 939 X2.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    a x2 processor only if your motherboard supports it, check website, 2x1gb memory to take advantage of dual memory.

As good as the 6600 is, it needs to be a gt, not gs, we did some testing a couple of years back and found that was the minimal spec at the time for smooth HD.

It's always a problem when you have a decision to either upgrade or start a fresh setup.

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    FYI:
    If you want to continue using CoreAVC, then there is no reason to upgrade gfx, as CoreAVC uses CPU - only.
    If you are having problems with HD, you could try a DXVA capable decoder, like CyberLink Power DVD - although I'm not sure about your GFX's DXVA capabilities.

Kingfisher

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 16, 2008
    Bedfordshire
    Home Country
    England England
    I would say upgrade both.

I tried running HD on an X2 3800+ (939), 2GB Dual Channel and an 8500GT. It stuttered like hell, even on 720p. (This was playing BluRay using Arcsoft TotalTheater).

x264 was reasonably ok, but struggled with 1080 using CoreAVC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom