CPU: Any advantage in getting Dual core?

Discussion in 'Mainboards / CPU / RAM' started by revs, March 14, 2007.

1. revs
    • Premium Supporter

revs MP Donator

Software Developer
    Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    Home Country:
    Wales Wales
    As the title says - dual core, or a faster single core?

i.e. is MP or the any of the common codecs multithreaded, do they take advantage of multiple cores?

I currently have a AMD 64 3000+/1.8Ghz socket 939. Its ok, but a bit slow with ffdshow and scaling.

Do I upgrade to sual cores (expensive) or go for the fastest single core socket 939 (4000+ ? or thereabouts)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joystick
    • Premium Supporter

joystick MP Donator

Ratings:
    +40 / 1
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    I think you only need a dual-core if you are look into getting HDTV. You would definetely need a dual-core, then.
    I would prefer a Intel-chipset and Motherboard (preferably 965) for dc.

Well, yes, as always buying new hw is expensive, but if you choose wisely it will be worth it.....

cheers
    joystick

4. knutinh

knutinh Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    [​IMG]
    Transcoding MPEG2 to h264 1080p seems to be able to use 4 core cpus very well.

-k

5. Spragleknas
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

Spragleknas Administrator

Occupied
    Ratings:
    +1,892 / 12
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    Show System Specs
    I would prefer getting an AMD X2-CPU. It is easier to cool, due to several things 1) bigger CPU-contact surface (forgot source) 2) Lower wattage - Intel and AMD does not rate TDP equally (according to SPCR a year ago)

6. joystick
    • Premium Supporter

joystick MP Donator

Ratings:
    +40 / 1
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Sorry, but I have a machine running an E6600 with passive(!) cooling for media purposes....

cheers

7. gxtracker
    • Premium Supporter

gxtracker Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    there are definite advantages to going dual core over single core - the biggest of which is recording or playback and any multi-tasking the system may perfom, for example: downloading and parsing an EPG while decoding a movie that you're watching.

Even a low end multi-core CPU will be more responsive than a fast single core one.

8. Spragleknas
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

Occupied
    Ratings:
    +1,892 / 12
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    Show System Specs
    That does not mean that my statement is wrong... only that the Intel dual-core runs cool as well. :)

9. Marcusb
    • Premium Supporter

Marcusb Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    one thing that is interesting is that because AMD now use an integrated Northbridge (or was that south? I can never remember) for the memory controller, even though the CPU uses more power, the system on the whole uses the same or less than an Intel system as the motherboard doesn't need the extra controller and the CPU is much better at controlling power to the controller than the motherboard is. Tom's hardware had a big review on power usage for HTPC's a while back, from memory.

10. knutinh

knutinh Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    And the point Spragleknas was making about having a large contact surface generally goes counter to integrating more and more circuitry into the cpu.

It all depends on whether the local cooling of cpu/gpu/nb is the weakest link, or if transport of system heat to the surroundings is the limiting factor.

If your system fan is able to move enough air that the system temp is close to the room temp, then no further gain can be made there. In that case, a cooler cpu or more efficient cpu cooler is the best route to lower cpu temps or less noise.

In my view, the intel Core2 has proven itself as a solid performer as well as good performance pr watt. I see no reason to go for anything else at this stage for most users.

I myself use an intel p4 2.8GHz for HTPC and an AMD A64 3000+ for bedroom-PC.

BTW, the guides, tests and forums at www.silentpcreviews.com is a much better focused forum if you want noise/heat-related answers. MP is about HTPC-software :)

-k

11. Spragleknas
    • Team MediaPortal
    • Administrator

Occupied
    Ratings:
    +1,892 / 12
    Home Country:
    Norway Norway
    Show System Specs
    Corrected link: http://www.silentpcreview.com/

And:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!