Cpu cooler for HTPC (1 Viewer)

Ferg

April 20, 2011
Home Country
Hi,
I about to start building new HTPC, but I have not decided about CPU cooler. I was looking for 2 options –
1. Scythe Shuriken Rev. B
2. Scythe Big Shuriken.

Case will be SilverStone Grandia SST-GD05B, 1155 socket mobo and CPU.

Many thanks in advance…

sepp776

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 28, 2008
    Cologne
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey Ferg,

I have made good experience with Scythe coolers, so both should be a good choice. Don't know the case, but generally you should check out whether the coolers fit in there at all. These coolers are really huge! Besides this, I can't imagine there's a big difference between the two for HTPC purposes.

CU,
    Sepp.

Ferg

April 20, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks, looks that both coolers will fit to my case, I just wondering, with one are better for my setup.
    I believe that Scythe Shuriken Rev. B are new one and Scythe Big Shuriken are older…

ejtje

Portal Pro
    November 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hello Ferg,

I don't really know with one is better! But I know that one of those have a 120mm fan and the other a 100m, so i think the bigger one has a bigger radiator so better heat disposal.

The link below show the two: The right one has the 120mm fan, you can also see it is about 70gram heaver. (the total hight is also different so watch if they fit over the ram memory)
    The difference

Good luck cooling!

daos06

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2010
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    AW: Cpu cooler for HTPC

The Big Shuriken is the better one. I had one (before i got my Ninja mini) and replaced the fan with a Enermax Twister Cluster. The result was a cool CPU and a very low noise level.

You don't have to replace the fan, it is also very silent with the build in, but that is somethng you should just test out and decide yourself.

So all in all I can fully recommend you the Big Shuriken. It is the best CPU cooler in for Small HTPC cases.

wolfi_b

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    AW: Cpu cooler for HTPC

My Big Shuriken runs at 600rpm, not hearable :D

darkside40

Portal Pro
    August 17, 2009
    Ruhrgebiet
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Heard yesterday that Scythe presented a new cooler at the Computex named Kozuti. Topflow and only 40mm high, suitable for really small systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom