CPU load (1 Viewer)

pete.keys@virgin.net

Portal Member
February 14, 2006
Question/bug: Why does MP use so much CPU. When I open it up and don't start anything - or say stop the TV - it sits there at 98%cpu.

When I start doing something say start TV in the myTV window it runs at 80 % and when I run it in the full window (but not fullscreen) its 45%.

In full window - if I open a window partially over the top or say the channel change window the cpu goes pack upto 85%

In comparison if I use compro's own product the cpu rarely reaches 25% and in cyberlink powercinema it runs about 10%.

I think the above explains why for me MP is clunky and often sluggish to respond to keystrokes .. especially when my system is flatlining at 100%.

I have switched off all clever rendering/transparent overlays and animations - is there anything else i should be checking /doing to reduce the cpu load and therefore improve responsiveness and stop the "stutter" that often happens.

thanks in advance - this product has better functionality than any other, I'd just love to get it performing adequately.

cheers -Pete

Area: Media Portal Program
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.0 RC2 (2006-02-24)
MediaPortal Skin: mce
Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
.NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
Audio Codec: DScaler Audio Decoder
Video Codec: DScaler Mpeg2 Video Decoder
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4 - 2.40GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Motherboard: IBM (IBM)
TV Card Model: -Compro T200
TV Card Type: - DVB-T
TV Card Driver: - 1.3.3.0
Video Card Model: Intel(r) 82845g/gl/ge/pe/gv Graphics Controller (64 MB)
Video Card Driver: - 6.14.10.3865
Video Card Resolution: 1024x768
Video Render Type: VMR9
Audio Card Model: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Audio Card Driver: -5.12.1.3624
Synopsis:: -

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    pete.keys@virgin.net said:
    Why does MP use so much CPU. When I open it up and don't start anything - or say stop the TV - it sits there at 98%cpu.
    This is very unusual - I just checked my setup and it consumes less than 2% CPU whether in full-screen, windowed, or minimised.....

pete.keys@virgin.net said:
    When I start doing something say start TV in the myTV window it runs at 80 % and when I run it in the full window (but not fullscreen) its 45%.-
    Since the video decoder that you are using doesn't use hardware acceleration (DxVA), then this figure of 45% is typical. If you use a video decoder like the nVIDIA PureVideo decoder, then this will drop to less than 20%, assuming your video card supports DxVA.

Also, I am not familiar with your video card - is it fully DirectX 9 compatible? That might be why you are seeing high CPU usage?

As this is not a bug, I have moved this thread to "General Support".

wortelsoft

Portal Pro
    May 13, 2005
    Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    After some research I found out that your onboard videocard is only dx8 hardware compatible.

so you could go for a new videocard:

nvidia: fx5200 or better.

ati: 9550 or better

check your mainboard first if it has an AGP slot!

pete.keys@virgin.net

Portal Member
    February 14, 2006
    thanks - but why ..

Thanks guys for taking the time to answer my question.

Last night I changed the video codec to the DscalerDec Decoder and the performance has become marginally better, and makes the system more useable as the CPU load doesn't max out for long periods - the picture quality is not quite as good though.

I really like media portal and have invested loads of time trying to get it to work and will look into getting a 9x compatible card.

I guess that means the other software that works more efficiently manages to use legacy pre 9x hardware acceleration on my inbuilt older video card?

cheers
    -Pete

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    MediaPortal has pretty much been designed from the ground up for DirectX 9.0 compatible hardware, other software may be designed with a different hardware target in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom