CPU

Discussion in 'Mainboards / CPU / RAM' started by swinghead, May 2, 2005.

1. swinghead

swinghead Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Which CPU is recommend for MP? I am thinking about a Athlon 64. Or is the performance of a AMD Semperon god enough for MP?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Callifo
    • Team MediaPortal

Callifo Retired Team Member

Student
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Home Country:
    For a quiet system a Sempron is powerful enough. Got a 2600+ myself and it basically puts out no heat (40C full load with the stock heatsink). A copper heatsink would probably suffice with no/low speed fan. Its nice and zippy for MP and works well with 2 tuners (1 analogue, 1 dvb - soon to be 2).

4. wishywashy

wishywashy Portal Pro

USAF
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    See my sig. it performs really well. Timeshift, playback and DVD's all work flawlessly with my simple system.

5. Pingus

Pingus Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dont know anything about AMD, but ....

I use a Celeron D320/2.4Ghz/533FSB in my Pundit-R; works great for MP.

Before that I used an P4/1.5Ghz/400FSB in the same box; works ok for viewing tv/dvd BUT the guide was a bit slow when navigation throu the channels, so I guess the "Intel way" is >2.0Ghz/533 FSB.

What REALLY is importent is having a HARDWARE encoder TV-card, like fx. a Hauppage PVR-150/500 since this has more impact on how the system works than using a software encoding card and a Athlon64 / P4HT processor.

In fact i would say that my older P4/1.5Ghz + PVR150 works better than a P4/3.xGhZ HT-processor and a software TV-Card - for recording anyway :)

6. quazar

quazar Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WishyWashy's suggestion to go for a Thunderbird 1.4Ghz is not such a good choice, since that is one of the most heat producing AMD cores. :eek:
    1.4 Ghz should suffice though

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!