CPU (1 Viewer)

swinghead

Portal Member
February 7, 2005
Which CPU is recommend for MP? I am thinking about a Athlon 64. Or is the performance of a AMD Semperon god enough for MP?

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    For a quiet system a Sempron is powerful enough. Got a 2600+ myself and it basically puts out no heat (40C full load with the stock heatsink). A copper heatsink would probably suffice with no/low speed fan. Its nice and zippy for MP and works well with 2 tuners (1 analogue, 1 dvb - soon to be 2).

Pingus

Portal Member
    February 2, 2005
    Denmark
    swinghead said:
    Which CPU is recommend for MP? I am thinking about a Athlon 64. Or is the performance of a AMD Semperon god enough for MP?

Dont know anything about AMD, but ....

I use a Celeron D320/2.4Ghz/533FSB in my Pundit-R; works great for MP.

Before that I used an P4/1.5Ghz/400FSB in the same box; works ok for viewing tv/dvd BUT the guide was a bit slow when navigation throu the channels, so I guess the "Intel way" is >2.0Ghz/533 FSB.

What REALLY is importent is having a HARDWARE encoder TV-card, like fx. a Hauppage PVR-150/500 since this has more impact on how the system works than using a software encoding card and a Athlon64 / P4HT processor.

In fact i would say that my older P4/1.5Ghz + PVR150 works better than a P4/3.xGhZ HT-processor and a software TV-Card - for recording anyway :)

quazar

Portal Member
    January 4, 2005
    WishyWashy's suggestion to go for a Thunderbird 1.4Ghz is not such a good choice, since that is one of the most heat producing AMD cores. :eek:
    1.4 Ghz should suffice though

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

Fresh install of MP with Moving Pictures and IMDB+ (newest versions) on a new Windows 10 machine. Started scraping part of my library. I'm used to a relatively smooth and fast process. But now it was EXTREMELY slow. Also many titles that always gets identified by IMDB+ now were not. Themoviedb.org instead provided details. At first...
    Fresh install of MP with Moving Pictures and IMDB+ (newest versions) on a new Windows 10 machine. Started scraping part of my...
    Fresh install of MP with Moving Pictures and IMDB+ (newest versions) on a new Windows 10 machine. Started scraping part of my...
    Replies
    Views
    Thanks. I tried this on my side and I see also the local drives. I've no clue, why they are not shown for you? :confused: The One drive issue is probably related to windows as you also mentioned to have the issue with other programs as well. The first thing I did after installing Win11 was to completely remove Onedrive from registry...
    Thanks. I tried this on my side and I see also the local drives. I've no clue, why they are not shown for you? :confused: The One...
    Just reinstalled MP 2 on a fresh W11 install and I'm tying to set the recording/timeshifting paths but the only thing coming up...
    Replies
    Views
    I think I've solved the remote button issue, there was an unknown driver in Device Manager which I discovered was the Serial IO GPIO driver. Installing that appears to have solved the remote problem. Who knew? Thanks to all who contributed to my solution.
    I think I've solved the remote button issue, there was an unknown driver in Device Manager which I discovered was the Serial IO...
    I just upgraded my HTPC to a 12th gen Core i5 CPU and Windows 11 running MP 1.30 (Ukraine). It works well except for two minor...
    Replies
    Views
    To ge2301, I have now updated both my systems successfully as you suggested. I have only ever had a couple of significant problems with Mediaportal2 and both have been fixed quickly by forum members. I am very impressed by both the forum and the quality of the Mediaportal2 package. Keep up the good work and thank you to all that...
    To ge2301, I have now updated both my systems successfully as you suggested. I have only ever had a couple of significant problems...
    Before you create this bug report: Make sure that your system (Windows, codecs and drivers) is up to date, matching the...
    Replies
    Views
    Happy new years too :)
    Happy new years too :)
    First, Happy new year to you ! Best wishes to you! :) Usually, a new version of MP is released at the end of the year. What's...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom