Crashes trying to change channel (1 Viewer)

MattyZee

Portal Member
November 23, 2007
Adelaide
Home Country
TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0
MediaPortal Skin: Blue Two Wide
Windows Version: XP SP2
CPU Type: Intel Core2 Duo E6750
HDD: Seagate 250Gb
Memory: 2Gb Generic
Motherboard: Asus P5K Premium
Motherboard Chipset:
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce 8500 GT
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card: Onboard
Sound Card AC3: Coaxial out
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Digital Now
1. TV Card Type: Dual Hybird S2 PCIe
1. TV Card Driver: 1.0.4.2 (22/11/2007) NXP
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: NVIDIA PureVideo
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Zalman HD135
Cooling:
Power Supply: Antec Trio
Remote:
TV: Panasonic 42" Plasma TH42PZ700A
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI->HMDI

I have been trying to get MP up and running for the last couple of weeks and have hit a wall. I am pretty sure i have all the lastest drivers of my graphics and tv card and all the windows updates. Also, i have installed the BDA and DVB fixes as per the requirements page.
*When i try and change channel MP freezes/crashes.
*The image will freeze (with the on-screen display), sometimes i will get the audio of the new channel.
*If i click the mouse, i get eh audio feedback that a button in being pushed.
* When i CTR+ALT+DEL, the task manager appears but MP keeps regaining focus so i can't kill the app. (same thing if i push the windows button to try open another app.

Cheers

MattyZee

Portal Member
November 23, 2007
Adelaide
Home Country
A bit more info may help?

* I'm running the screen @ 1920x1080 progressive. 50Hz
* The dual tuners both scan fine and tune tv/radio channels. (the signal strength is not great but plenty for my integrated in the TV)
* I can watch tv fine for as long as i want, i just can't change channel without it freezing!! :-(

Would low signal strength do this?

Has no else had this problem?

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    have you tried the TV Server instead of the built in one?
    This is a totally different architecture and may be a better option for you.
    It's a bit more complicated to set up, but is a much better way to go.
    Downloads and documentation are on the home page.

MattyZee

Portal Member
    November 23, 2007
    Adelaide
    Home Country
    Hi MarcusB,

Thanks for your reply. No i haven't tried the TV server. My thoughts were that i wanted to stay with a 'tried-and-tested' release version. I've not followed the TV server progress so i don't really know how stable it is yet. I might give that a go if no one else can offer a suggested fix...

The Error log seems quite large. Can anyone make any sense of it?

Thanks again.

upspace

Portal Member
    October 19, 2005
    built-in or server - i never got a stable, reliable and usable (fast channel switching) configuration to work. and i tried almost everything, using latest svn, reading this forum with no success.

let's face it: media portal is great for good looking skins, media library with album and video art, plugins etc. but it is not made for daily viewing of live TV, EPG, DVD, AVIs (fast forward not working properly). so why do we have a htpc then?

at the moment i am using dvbviewer for dvb-s viewing. it costs euro 15 but is rock stable with super fast channel changing time (<1sec) and a good EPG from DVB-S stream. still has some issues with
    a) navigation not as easy and clear for kids or wife
    b) the htpc part (music, dvd,avi,picture) is very minimal (no album art, no search, strange navigation)

that is why i programmed one button of my remote to toggle between vista media center (good for music and dvd playing - fast and easy to use) and dvbviewer to watch tv.

MattyZee

Portal Member
    November 23, 2007
    Adelaide
    Home Country
    Yeah, thats my fear, that i'll never get it working reliably.....

Surely some people have it working at a point that i would be happy with. All i want it for is as a PVR (schedule recordings etc) Music and photo albums are a bonus. But i like the skins, they look SO much better than everything else ive seen.

Is there a list of people who have it working reliably along with the spec of their hardware and software??

MattyZee

Portal Member
    November 23, 2007
    Adelaide
    Home Country
    Hi Olodin,

I have actually changed back to the MPV decoder and have installed the TV3 server as suggested by Marcusb. I have had a few other bugs (DVICO drivers causing PC resets etc) etc, but i think i have an adequate setup now.

I have actually found the MPV decoder (with Bob deinterlacing) to look better than the NVIDIA decoder. Maybe i just didn't have the NVIDIA configured properly?

Now i'm trying to get PowerScheduler to work... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom