CRT television and blurring picture? (1 Viewer)

Vienna

Portal Member
March 2, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: Newest
MediaPortal Skin: Default
Windows Version: Windows XP Pro
CPU Type: Pentium 4 2,53 Ghz
HDD: 200 GB Samsung
Memory: 768 MB RAM
Motherboard: ASUS P5B533
Motherboard Chipset:
Motherboard Bios:
Video Card: ATI Radeon 9600
Video Card Driver: Latest Catalyst 2.8
Sound Card: M-audio Revolution 7.1
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: (1) Hauppage
1. TV Card Type: PVR150
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card: (2) Hauppage
2. TV Card Type: PVR150
2. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: default
MPEG2 Audio Codec: default
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Silverstone L10M
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: Imon Remote
TV: Tevion CRT television
TV - HTPC Connection: S-video

Hi,

Yesterday I installed Mediaportal. I've used XPMCE for years but I got interested in Mediaportal. I'm still testing stuff but I always had a problem with XPMCE that my screen colors were just blurred. I always thought it has something to do with XPMCE or codecs but I tried a lot of different things back then. Now in Mediaportal I still got in. When the screen is moving fast the screen is blurring and that while having a CRT television :confused: . Does anyone know a solution for this? When the screen is not much movement going on I got a clear picture.

Thanks!!:)

Vienna

Portal Member
March 2, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I will try to set some settings like resolution and things. But I have a ATI card not a Nvidia but some settings will be the same I think. I hope this can be a solution.
Thanks.

VicBond007

Portal Member
February 20, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Your 9600 deinterlaces every video sent to the tv, regardless of whether or not the content is interlaced or not. I've never found a workaround. It's a very common problem with older video cards where they use the cheapest tv-encoders possible. Could be hardware or software. I've seen this on old ATis, NVidas, Matrox, you name it. Took me years to find a decent SD video output solution, and even then it's only specifically for MPEG2, so it's useless in Mediaportal. I do not know how modern cards behave when outputting an SD signal. My system is set up to output 1080i right now.

Vienna

Portal Member
March 2, 2008
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
But every user with the ATI Radeon 9600 should have that problem then? I only have CRT so HDMI or something is no solution. Is there a AGP videocard that is capable or should I buy another system? Very strange because I do not read so much items about this type op problem :(

VicBond007

Portal Member
February 20, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
VGA/DVI/HDMI are immune to the problem because as far as the card is concerned, the display is a computer monitor. This only applies to times when the video is sent through the tv-encoder. Most people with HTPCs nowadays have digital displays so they're using the digital connections, that's why there have been few complaints. Hook your htpc up to a friend's HD display and you'll see that there's nothing wrong with your computer. It's simply bad video card design.

You could try an nvidia card but I make no guarantees that it will improve. I don't have any native SD displays in the house anymore to test on :-/

Aquarius

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 23, 2004
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There are mods of the 9600 around that produce a RGB interlaced signal to be guided direct to the TV via SCART. Perhaps try these. They are named RADEON XXL.

Works in my MP machine without a problem.

Regards
    /Gerd

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom