Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hoping someone can give me some ideas.

I have backed up some Bluray Discs and am trying to play back the main file.

I have a clean vista ultimate x86 install with the HD264 Cyberlink plugin. The main movie files won't play.

If I install coreAVC they will play without a problem however in MP I get an error message about the decoder for the subtitles. If I click ok it then plays the file. If I deselect error messages in Haali configuration it seems to have no effect. If I playback in WMP 11 it doesn't give me that message.

I would like to use the Cyberlink codec as it has hardware acceleration.

I have been reading forums and reinstalling for a week. Basically I want to be able to play back the main file of BR rips preferrably with Hardware acceleration.

Anyone have this working that can help me out it would be much appreciated.

gipro

Portal Member
May 10, 2008
More info

Ok so I reinstalled Vista x86 ultimate.

Then I installed PDVD 8

On dragging and dropping a m2ts main movie file rip into PDVD8 it played with hardware accel.

Problem is it won't play in WMP11 and in graphedit there is not graph for the file.

In MP under Directshow PDVD8 shows up. I select the PDVD8 codec in MP and select EVR rendering. Won't play.

Anyone able to help or point me to a howto guide on getting Vista x8 PowerDVD 8 Ultra and MP to work nicely.

Anyone else who has this combination working got any tips?

gipro

Portal Member
May 10, 2008
Still Stuck

OK so now I have done a clean install with PDVD8 Ultra. It will play the m2ts files nicely with HA. The problem is that WMP nor MP will play the files. Using graphedit there appears to be no graph for the file.

Help anyone?

gipro

Portal Member
May 10, 2008
Thanks for the info. So are you saying that I need to make registry edits to get the Cyberlink codec working in MP or WMP for that matter?

gipro

Portal Member
May 10, 2008
Working now

Just updating so its on record for others.

I got hardware acceleration working. Not sure how but it works.

What I did.

New install of PDVD8 Ultra. I did have a problem with activating it and Cyberlink support sent me a different install.
I tried the original file again and it activated and works.

I installed winxp sp3.

Installed mediaportal

Installed coreavc with haali media splitter.

Installed PDVD8 Ultra.

Uninstalled coreAVC.

The haali install remains and icon launches however HA is working as with BR titles 1-2% cpu usage on e4500.

o0X0o

Portal Pro
August 19, 2007
Brisbane
Home Country
Wow... congrats! Most people don't seem to have been so lucky (myself included)...

So I assume your backups are unencrypted and saved to a HDD, and you have added .m2ts to the file extensions of MP?

I can play the .m2ts files outside of MP (in PDVD or WMP), and I can see the files (in 'Moving Pictures' or 'Videos'), but when I try to run them from MP I get a black screen for a couple of seconds, then I'm sent back to MP.

I see others claiming success after changing the extension to .mkv, but that's not worked for me either.

Interested in how you're accessing the files to play, and your MP Codec Settings (are they just the defaults?).

Anyone else have any suggestions???

gipro

Portal Member
May 10, 2008
Wow... congrats! Most people don't seem to have been so lucky (myself included)...

So I assume your backups are unencrypted and saved to a HDD, and you have added .m2ts to the file extensions of MP?

I can play the .m2ts files outside of MP (in PDVD or WMP), and I can see the files (in 'Moving Pictures' or 'Videos'), but when I try to run them from MP I get a black screen for a couple of seconds, then I'm sent back to MP.

I see others claiming success after changing the extension to .mkv, but that's not worked for me either.

Interested in how you're accessing the files to play, and your MP Codec Settings (are they just the defaults?).

Anyone else have any suggestions???

I should note I went back to WinXP

You assmumed correct on the file front. PLaying single mt2s files over the network.

I used TsMuxer to strip out all subtitle streams, only keep DD audio either by selecting the track or converting True Audio to DD.

The problem I had with the un muxed file was that while it would play through WMP PDVD8 but MP seemed to choke on the subtitles.

The other thing I have installed is Haali Media splitter. This runs when I play a file in WMP however I only get 1-2% cpu usage (e4500). So I assume that it is using the PDVD8 codec as that is the only one with HA.

Codecs in MP are for the Cyberlink PDVD 8 Codec.

I do have a few versions of PDVD8. I had trouble activating the purchased and was sent a link to a new one by support. I finally got the original one activated and this is the one that worked for me.

The version that worked for me was CyberLink_PowerDVD8Ultra_2217TaRe38. Don't know if that was the difference.

With your problem specifically a black screen I may be able to shed some light on. In the month that I was trying to get this to work I found that some mt2s files wouldn't play. They would freeze on the first frame. Try skipping forward 5 minutes on the black screen and you might find that you get still images of the video.

I'm no expert but it seemed that the graph was broken. I think that most of these videos use the audio for timing and it seemed that this was the part of the graph that was broken.

I did find CoreAVC just worked out of the box. The only problem in MP was with subtitles but if you remove them you won't get prompted when you start a video. No HA though and my processor was choking which is why I persisted with PDVD.

I still have issues though. I have now got RC4 but even with RC3 I find that when I first start MP I get 60-70% cpu usage for a few minutes. This causes choppy playback but I think this MP because it is on all video. When it settles down CPU usage about 5=15% on bluray.

However I think this may be a PC hardware GPU problem.

o0X0o

Portal Pro
August 19, 2007
Brisbane
Home Country
hmmm... a few things to think about there...

Unfortunately, before seeing your reply I tried the SAF package (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/codecs-external-players-55/stand-alone-filters-mediaportal-44614/) and can no longer get video from .m2ts files in any player!

Also means I can't confirm if skipping past the first frame works.

I'm using Vista with RC3, so perhaps I need to go back to XP as you did (I see alerts every time I open MP config that Vista is unsupported) and move to RC4 at the same time.

Thanks for your help gipro. I'll post back with how I get on...

gipro

Portal Member
May 10, 2008
No problem.

As an aside it seems I may have fixed the stuttering issue. I upgraded MY TVSeries to the latest SVN and may have solved the problem. It may have been scanning folders for new series not sure though.

If you don't want HA CoreAVC is the way to go if you don't use TSmux you will get a prompt about subtitles. If you have MP always on top selected then you won't get the prompt and it will not run the video.

I suggest you don't run in fullscreen mode until you get it working so you can see external prompts.

Still got a couple of problems to solve with the image. Getting ghosting and bluring of the image on all video but i think it may be related to codecs or GPU. I have read that denoising may be the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom